Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'll let you know ASAP I can't check the gps right now cause the Pa is in the garage at the lake

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom Kirkman wrote:
I wondered, as I've found that a 55 lb thrust motor will not push the PA any faster than a 30 lb thrust motor if they're both running the same prop. Either will spin the factory props at the same maximum RPM.

The only way to get more speed out of the larger motors is to move to a prop with a higher pitch. Otherwise you're not gaining anything. The PA will indeed move at more than 7 MPH, but not with the factory props offered by MinnKota or Motor Guide. Those props are designed to push 800 lb+ vessels. Thus the shallow pitch.

My guess is that if you switch to MPH you're going to find that you're running between 4 and 4.3 MPH.

Tom I managed to get to 4.6 MPH but at that speed it really starts to drain the battery very quickly. I dropped the motor down deeper and its out of the way and more comfortable to fight fish with.

I am using a 33AH deep cycle battery. What size batteries are other motorized Pro Anglers using?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use an Optima D34M with 55ah rating. I will soon post my version.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’m seriously considering adding a Bow Mounted Minn Kota Terrova or Riptide ST 55 I-Pilot to my PA14. With sub-zero temps outside, what better way to pass the time than to dream about warm days on the water. I’ve been doing a lot of research and came across this thread from a while back.

I’m looking hard at the Riptide ST model. I don’t currently fish salt water, but may in the future (my folks winter in Ft. Myers). And, for some reason the salt version seems to be slightly less money than the fresh water version. I’m thinking having the electronics encapsulated would also be a good thing if/when I have the bad luck to turtle.

I have looked at just about every trolling motor mount for a PA on the web and with all things considered, Bow Mounting one of these seems to be a no-brainer. The I-Pilot features look to be really, really cool. I especially like the spot-lock/anchor feature. And with the remote fastened to your PDF, it provides a safety feature if somehow you would get dumped out of the boat. Just drive it back to you with the remote. Plus having full control (both speed and steering) while standing would be great.

JDeee, how have you made out with yours over the past year or so? Have you made any changes to your setup? Anything you would do differently?

Has anyone else bow mounted one of these or similar units?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Can't wait to see more on this thread, I have the following questions.....

1. Are you using a full size battery for the trolling motor?

2. Can I see additional pictures of the attachment of the trolling motor?

3. Battery life?

4. What is the cost for different props to increase speed?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry I lost my PW,but I reregistered to answer your questions
1 yes use a 33ah walmart deep cycle battery the big one weighs approx 60lbs plus

2 my PA is under 3feet of snow right now so Picts are out of the question until Spring thaw (maybe April ) lol. What I did is really simple. I purchased a Minnkota removable mount and cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to match the bottom plate. I drilled 2 holes in the front black handle and 2 holes in the the top front deck of the PA, so only 2 holes in the actual Kayak. I used 1/4 " by 4" long bolts and a few washers and nuts to level it out. If you look closely at the photos I am sure u will fiqure it out.

3 I have spent the whole day on the water 10 plus hours and never run out of juice. Probably at least half of that trolling at 2to 3 mph and the other half running the spot lock for hours on end.

4 if you want speed buy a stinkpot (aluminum motor boat) you will get a little over 4mph with the standard prop but at full throttle you will run the battery down in a few hours.

Word of caution: the ipilot has a button that engages the motor at full throttle number 10 and if you are not prepared for it and the motor is facing 90 degrees to the boat there is a strong chance you will go for a swim.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Marty

I still love the Ipilot it is made for the PA. I have no regrets at all. Never changed a thing since I first installed the motor. I never cut the shaft and am glad I didn't because I have since bought a small fishing boat and I switch between the two all the time.

The Beauty of this set up with the PA is the ability to hold position and be able to get into amazingly skinny water, like one to two feet of water and not spook the fish at all, my biggest fish I caught last year came out of 2feet of water that my boat would not get into at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the update Jdee. Snow and cold here in SW Michigan has me waiting for the spring thaw as well. I haven't pulled the trigger and ordered the Minn Kota motor yet, but I did get the aluminum quick release mount. I'll probably get my motor next month. I am planning on mounting it just as you have. The only thing I don't like about this setup is loosing the front handle.

I did pop into Cabelas last weekend and get a first hand look at the motors. I had originally thought that I wanted the Terrova style but after looking at both in person, I'm thinking the PowerDrive motors would be a better fit. The PowerDrive motors are a bit physically smaller than the Terrova and the stow/deploy mechanism on the PowerDrive looks to be a bit easier to modify for the kayak.

How are you deploying and stowing your motor? I found video on youtube of a PowerDrive mounted on the front of a Jackson Coosa Kayak that shows the deploy/stow with a strap on the motor and pull line actuating the locking lever. Looks like it works pretty sweet. Can't wait for warmer weather !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrDtmQNsa9E

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Marty you don't really loose the the use of the front handle. I can still pick up the front and move the PA around no problems.

Actually I kinda copied the system off that exact video, it's a good way to deploy and retrieve the motor.

Another great thing about the Ipilot that I like is if a lot of people are at the dock/ramp you can push the PA into deeper water and spot lock it out of reach of anyone, so you can go park your car without the worry of your FF or expensive musky rod disappearing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I finally pulled the trigger and took the Ipilot plunge :D . I got the 55lb Power Drive V2 motor and it really worked out well and I am very happy with the outcome so far. I used the aluminum sliding mount from Minnkota and mounted it on top of a piece of PVC 1x8 that I got from Menards. I made an aluminum angle mount from a piece of alum. angle I also got from Menards and sandwiched that between the boat and the handle. I just removed the handle and re-bolted it with the bracket in place.

This is the 45" length motor and I think I could cut about 15" off of the tube. I may due that one of these weekends.

It's mounted forward enough where there is no interference with opening the forward hatch when the motor is down in the water. I'm still working on fine tuning the deploy/retract strap but it works rather well. I've only had it out a couple of times but it works great.

With my big butt in the boat and the Sidekicker installed it's not real fast. Trolling diving plugs at 2.5 mph requires a setting of 5-1/2 or 6. Top speed was about 3.8mph. I may try a different prop in the near future. The GPS Autopilot and cruise control are super and the anchor feature is really cool.

So far, I'm happy, happy, happy !!
Now I just have to save up and do the same thing to the other boat :D

Marty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice, I just did the same thing yesterday with a powerdrive V2 #45pd thrust. I'm a bit worried about the flexing of the top hull where the second two bolts are anchored. My thought is to put a square of plywood underneath the plastic to bolt to, thus reducing the stress on the plastic hull. Thoughts?

Kirrasdad
Bakersfield, CA.
2013 Hobie PA 14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I haven't noticed the boat flexing at all. I made sure that my PVC 1x8 was sitting on top of the thickest part just in front of the cloth hinges. I used the largest "fender" washers I could find on the inside. I bet they are at least 1-1/2" diameter washers. Everything seems to be rock solid.

I'm thinking of trying one of these props. http://www.kipawapropellers.com/
Sounds like they have a little bit more bite and speed.

Marty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Marty I'd like to post imbedded pics and a video like your post, how do you do that?

Kirrasdad
Bakersfield, CA.
2013 Hobie PA 14

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I-pilot and Minn kota on a Pro angler 14. This is before the Ipilot install, which BTW, makes ALL the difference in the world! (Pics and video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm6RkObEMlc

Kirrasdad
Bakersfield, CA.
2013 Hobie PA 14