Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Haven't been out at all Tony. Sold my car and then realised that it was the only car we had with a tow ball.

I hope you're going to remedy this by Friday!

chrisj wrote:
stringy wrote:
19mph... amazing! 8)
Still, the thrill is all relative as 10km/h feels a lot faster when you're heeled over so far your elbow is dragging in the water! :wink:

You've got me thinking Stringy, a modified quarterdeck might be the go - it would let you hike out in ama-less mode, though it would also add a few kilos to the load you have to schlep back up the hill after work.

Chris, I've thought many times about something like a quarter deck or even a mini cantilevered tramp like the Moth foiler have, but the higher centre of gravity and the extra weight, as you say, stop me from acting on it. In fact in my commute these days I only take the sail, mast, db and mast adaptor if I can see that the wind is up enough to use them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
NOHUHU wrote:
BIG WIND? - NO PROBLEM!

How big a wind NOHUHU? I get nervous taking the Cat out in high winds. (Maricats don't have furling sail).
20-25 mph, and gusting. Similar to today. We hit 20 this afternoon. (17.5 knots). The hull really wanted to go diving!

Without the ability to furl, these cats can be a handful, real quick. It's fun passing all the monohulls and even powerboats, though. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

arrrrg I miss taking the Nacra out sometimes!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

YAHOO! First trip in our brandnew TI, Istanbul here we come!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS8NgHNPfSU [/youtube]

www.lifeisgoodfollowus.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DM06 wrote:
arrrrg I miss taking the Nacra out sometimes!
DM06, this ones for you,.. 8)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGRW5HRXAPU&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Check it out in 720 HD.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Damn that looked fun!

I used to take the 5.0 out on Lake Michigan, on the Michigan side. Great beaches. Was easy (relatively) to set up and launch, then beach to get the sails on/up. Spend a lazy day of it. Was always puffy. Got the hull flying but never actually got out on the wire.

I'm in San Antonio now. The lake here doesn't have beach. Just rocks. My wife has zero interest in using the Nacra. It is falling into a state of disrepair, sitting in outside storage. Sad really.

The TI is great. Ready to tow in 5 minutes. In the water ready to sail in 5. Back up on the trailer to leave in 5. But I'm just getting bored. The sail is pretty much set it and forget it. There isn't the tweaking of the main and a jib. Or, the tweaking of the shape of the main. No traveler for the main. You don't have to think 3 steps ahead because there is always the mirage drives to get you out of trouble. Missing a tack is no big deal. I find myself reading the water/weather less, if at all. And when I crew for a buddy on his J20 I find I've forgotten the how and why of all the tweaking.

How often do you take your 5.2 out?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Couple times a month. We race occasionally too. Never a dull moment on these boats. And you are quite right, they elevate your sailing skills.

I jump on the TI or AI for fishing and touring in areas that are harder to reach and launch. But the performance is lacking, obviously and I wish Hobie would address this. Our boomless, jibless rigs have a limited power range but I do enjoy the ability to shape the sail on downwind runs, and furl when we land fish or take a dip.

I'm glad the wife enjoys your TI. On the Islands, riding the Hakas helps relieve the boredom and the butt rash. The TI3 mods we did make the TI a WHOLE different boat. http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=38827&hilit=TI3 A Jib would make it even more interesting.

I'll post some TI3 downwind run videos as soon as I can. It's been very quiet on this forum lately - but a good time to sail here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU :
None of the rest of us can figure out why Hobie has not done anything else to the TI either, it's beyond belief in my opinion. As far as I know the TI is one of the most popular boats on the market today, and a way bigger market than even the H14 and possibly the H16 markets combined.
Just about everyone I know that has a TI has them modified in one way or another to suit what they are using the boat for, it's the true SUV of the industry.
Hobie invented a whole new market and category of boat that is free from the age old 'One Design' restrictions that in my opinion have held the entire industry back many decades (innovation wise), of course this is just my opinion.
I feel they should have an accessories catalog just for the Adventure line of boats, with all the cool aftermarket stuff that can be added to the boats. Jib and spinnaker options as well as off shore hardening kits, motor mount kits, TI3 kits, HAKA's, etc (all the same great stuff many of us already have had on our boats for many years now).
They could market special edition versions of their TI for specific markets like Scuba diving, Off shore fishing (The TI is already probably one of the top premier off shore fishing platforms out there today), family outings, camping (with add on tents and the works), or even an all out ultimate Tandem Island version with the whole works (massive sails, hydrofoils, wing sails, motors, etc). They can't say it can't be done because I've been using mine every weekend for over 4 yrs now with no issues, everything is just bolt on, I have never made any modifications to the boat itself).

When I was growing up everyone had powerboats, but seldom can afford them any longer. The concept of a family fun boat to get the family outdoors is brilliant. The average family size in the US is 3.14 people, the market potential for this thing is huge beyond belief. An added benefit is they have a whole new generation of new people feeding into the market (kayakers). With the Hobie Mirage Kayak and kayak sailing exploding ( a giant market in itself), this is a natural feeder for the TI line of boats. Literally every kayak owner I have met, has admired my setup and said they wished they had one. I'm also approached often by frustrated powerboat owners who can't afford to take their boats out anymore and are constantly asking questions and seriously looking at other alternatives, It's not like they just don't want to get out the water anymore, they just can't afford it.

I'm just sounding off here, wondering what the heck they are thinking, missing this huge market opportunity.
I just don't get it....
Of course my opinions are my own......
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
None of the rest of us can figure out why Hobie has not done anything else to the TI either, it's beyond belief in my opinion.
Good question Bob.
fusioneng wrote:
As far as I know the TI is one of the most popular boats on the market today, and a way bigger market than even the H14 and possibly the H16 markets combined.
Hey, you answered it in your next sentence!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
NOHUHU :
None of the rest of us can figure out why Hobie has not done anything else to the TI either, it's beyond belief in my opinion. As far as I know the TI is one of the most popular boats on the market today, and a way bigger market than even the H14 and possibly the H16 markets combined.
Just about everyone I know that has a TI has them modified in one way or another to suit what they are using the boat for, it's the true SUV of the industry.
Hobie invented a whole new market and category of boat that is free from the age old 'One Design' restrictions that in my opinion have held the entire industry back many decades (innovation wise), of course this is just my opinion.
I feel they should have an accessories catalog just for the Adventure line of boats, with all the cool aftermarket stuff that can be added to the boats. Jib and spinnaker options as well as off shore hardening kits, motor mount kits, TI3 kits, HAKA's, etc (all the same great stuff many of us already have had on our boats for many years now).
They could market special edition versions of their TI for specific markets like Scuba diving, Off shore fishing (The TI is already probably one of the top premier off shore fishing platforms out there today), family outings, camping (with add on tents and the works), or even an all out ultimate Tandem Island version with the whole works (massive sails, hydrofoils, wing sails, motors, etc). They can't say it can't be done because I've been using mine every weekend for over 4 yrs now with no issues, everything is just bolt on, I have never made any modifications to the boat itself).

When I was growing up everyone had powerboats, but seldom can afford them any longer. The concept of a family fun boat to get the family outdoors is brilliant. The average family size in the US is 3.14 people, the market potential for this thing is huge beyond belief. An added benefit is they have a whole new generation of new people feeding into the market (kayakers). With the Hobie Mirage Kayak and kayak sailing exploding ( a giant market in itself), this is a natural feeder for the TI line of boats. Literally every kayak owner I have met, has admired my setup and said they wished they had one. I'm also approached often by frustrated powerboat owners who can't afford to take their boats out anymore and are constantly asking questions and seriously looking at other alternatives, It's not like they just don't want to get out the water anymore, they just can't afford it.

I'm just sounding off here, wondering what the heck they are thinking, missing this huge market opportunity.
I just don't get it....
Of course my opinions are my own......
Bob

couldn't agree more

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:32 am 
Site Admin

Its called low hanging fruit. We have SOOOO many opportunities. We keep hiring engineers and designers and they just can't do everything on our list. There will be some really great new stuff coming this year.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Its called low hanging fruit. We have SOOOO many opportunities. We keep hiring engineers and designers and they just can't do everything on our list. There will be some really great new stuff coming this year.

Excited to see what you guys come out with for the TI. I've seen some of the upgrades for the AI and they are impressive. I'm chomping at the bit to see what my new 2015 TI will include. Any chance of a sneak peak Matt?

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas