Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some of us are involved in organizing a new kayak fishing club for the South Georgia/North Florida Big Bend area. The tentative name is the "Forgotten Coast Kayak Anglers" (but watch that acronym!). :mrgreen:

Any and all yak anglers, and wannable yak anglers welcome, especially those of the Hobie Persuasion!

Quote:
The first meeting of the Forgotten Coast Kayak Anglers club is GO !!!!

3212 Apalachee Parkway, Tallahassee, FL
878-8226

Date : Oct. 18th
Time : 7:00 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One of these days I'm going to make it to the non-surfing side of Florida. I hope you guys will be ready to go if I can swing it. The meetings are in a Mexican place, how can you go wrong?

Apalach-I had knee surgery some years ago and I can say that the key to getting back on it is rehab. The leg lifts with bags of frozen peas, etc., it's the key to recovery. Peddling your kayak will be a good thing. Lifting your boat on the car, well, the older I get, the harder it gets and the stupid kayak always seems heavier when I'm coming in than when I'm going out. If my knees were super strong, it would probably blow out my back. Slow and steady, rehab and get ready for summer.

Keep one in the cooler for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey ron,
I hear ya--man, do I ever hear ya! If it ain't one ting, it's anutha...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Us old dudes gotta stick together or the punks will take over everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ya'll must be living right... I had a piece of my meniscus removed several years ago. Softball is a dangerous sport..

I resemble that remark about the punks, Ron. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:39 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Apalach I would try and make it, however I am in San Diego for the Hobie dealer meetings. There is also chatter of a yak fishing club in my neck of the woods, maybe if we get it all going we can have tourney here and there and maybe p~cola and try to get a "circuit" going.

They have been catching the "grand slam" over here about every trip out.

**grand slam= 1 trout, 1 redfish, 1 flounder, and yea if you catch multiple of each it still a grand slam!

The big reds should be in our pass here before long, have not got one in a Kayak yet but they are fun on boats so they must be a blast in a Kayak!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
I am in San Diego for the Hobie dealer meetings.
Tough duty. We are going through somewhat of a cold snap. The ocean fishing season is kind of worn out, but if you get a chance to get out on the bay you could have some fun.
Quote:
I resemble that remark about the punks
Now we know who to keep an eye on................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:09 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

um...cold snap....the water is still in the 80's right. I do not do cold. I want to do some fishing, my other 1/2 thinks we should do the zoo and sea world. My vote is to raid the factory and go play with some new stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Uh-oh Brad--I can tell you are a Florida guy! The SoCal Pacific Coast waters (e.g., Oceanside) average temps range from 57 degrees F in Jan. to about 69 in late Aug. In Northern Cal (e.g., Bodega Bay where I used to work) it was always much colder, with a low of 52 degrees F in Jan to 54 in late August! I used to SCUBA and free dive in 55 degree water at Pacific Grove (range of 53-57) before I could afford a wet suit, and believe me I know first hand just what hypothermia can do to you!

This fairly narrow range is mainly due to all the upwelling along the California and Oregon Coasts. Don't know what "global warming" has done to change the "big" picture out there, but occasionally in past years a tongue of warm Baja water would move northward into SoCal and we would get some pretty interesting catches.

We have no upwelling to speak of along the Gulf or East Coasts of the U.S. In addition, the Gulf Stream tends to moderate the Southern Atlantic Ocean waters, so we never see Florida Atlantic Coast water temps in the fifties to sixties, as we commonly do in California.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ocean water is in the mid 60's right now, we are kind of in the summer/winter fishing season changeover where the fishing in the ocean is not that good and a little chilly. The fishing in San Diego Bay is pretty decent right now and a much easier go-out. If you launch before sunrise from Tidelands you'll get a view of San Diego that most visitors will never see.
If you've got the family thing going, the San Diego Zoo and/or Seaworld are two of the biggies. All day trip for either one, you can probably spend more time at the zoo. It's the off-season, so it won't be so crowded, which is nice. Seaworld has gotten pretty expensive, so be prepared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

glad to see the start-up of a kayak fishing club for tallahassee and surrounding area. i won't be able to attend the inagural meeting due to a work conflict. i hope additional info will be posted here after the meeting. good luck on the first meeting. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:16 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Any news of a new club started. I am ready to get some turny's going!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brad asked:
Quote:
Any news of a new club started.

Sho 'nuff--had our first meeting on 18 Oct., with the second scheduled for 14 Nov. We even have our own kayak fishing Web site now that just started up a few days ago. Check it out.

The Forgotten Coast Kayak Anglers (FCKA):

http://www.fcka.net/cat001/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:02 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

I am now a member!

Post subject: 2 Dec. Meeting
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Forgotten Coast Kayak Anglers club is moving right along--we are up to 100 members in about a month's time and the Web site has already had over 40,000 hits. A new logo (courtesy of Average Joe) has been unveiled and the first batch of T-shirts, stickers, and caps have been ordered. Here is a sample T-shirt showing the logo. Other logos are still being considered as well, but the main submission period was completed on 30 Nov.

Our next (3rd) meeting will be Saturday morning, 2 Dec., 0700 to noon, at the T~n~T Hide-a-Way kayak and canoe rental at the lower bridge right on the magnificent Wakulla River. This will be a swap meet/yard sale event with members and others bringing their fishing and yaking tradeables and saleables. Following the sale, we will be putting into the river in pursuit of some redfish and bass.

6527 Coastal Hwy. (Highway 98 ), Crawfordville, FL 32327

Directions:
From Tallahassee: from Hwy 319 South (Capital Circle) take Hwy 363 (Woodville Hwy.) 18 miles south to State Rd. 98 (Coastal Hwy.) turn right follow to the west 2 miles We are on the left side before the bridge at the Wakulla River.

From Perry, FL: Follow Hwy. 98 45 miles to the west, cross over the St Marks River continue on Hwy 98, we are two miles after the caution light at Hwy 363 on the left before the bridge at the Wakulla River.

From Apalachicola and St. George Island: Follow Hwy. 98 east, at St. Theresa take Hwy 319 thru Sopchoppy and it will connect back with Hwy 98. Continue on Hwy 98 we will be 10 miles east from Wakulla High School. Once you cross over the bridge at the Wakulla River we will be directly on your right.

Hope to see some of y'all there.
Dick