Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have done some research and narrowed my choices for a handheld gps to the garmin gpsmaps76 or Magellan Meridian Marine. Can anyone advise me as to the factory installed marine charts of either and what advice on either. Maybe I need to look at another model alltogether?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would take a Garmin over a Magellan any day. I've used a Garmin eTrex Vista on land and sea, it's never let me down. Looks like the Vista Cx does nearly everything the Maps 76CSx does for a couple hundred bucks less. If you were going to get the Maps 76, you might consider the eTrex Legend as well. I don't believe either one has a compass, which is something you might want. The Marine POI database that comes on many Garmin units shows navigational aids and channel markers, but not topographical charts of the body of water. The Map Source charts you have to buy, but it's the same deal with any brand of GPS. The primary use of the eTrex Vista I use is for open ocean navigation. We usually use the GPS and a chart to do that.
It depends on how much you want to spend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:00 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I'm also a big fan of the eTrex Legend - it's affordable and very reliable. Had mine on the water two years now without a glitch. It's very functional, easy to use and it floats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had the Garmin GPSMAP76 for about 5 years without a problem. Four years ago, I put it to the ultimate test when I took it with me on a flight to Kuwait. I used the World Map CD for mapping.I programmed the flight plan points into the Garmin each day prior to takeoff and crosschecked position, groundspeed with the HC-130's nav system which is a laser ring gyro inertial nav system integrated with enhanced GPS. The Garmin was right on the whole way. Pretty amazing that a $300 handheld could have comparable nav accuracy of a multi-thousand dollar nav system. So I'm sold on the MAP76. I use it in my car as well and it does a great job with the factory installed mapping program. When I use it on my boat, I use the US Topo Eastern map which has a lot of detail in the particular areas I fish on the Eastern coast of Florida. Go Garmin! You won't be sorry.