Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The reason I was asking about getting blowed around like a leaf . Is with my Ride 115 and having the high seat you tend to get blowed around cause you catch the wind a little easier then the guys setting down low ,I guess with the mirage drive hanging down with the rudder keeps you pretty much in place .

I was looking at putting the kayak inside my camper until I gets chance to the over head rack on the truck . I really think it's doable just from what everybody said about loading and hauling on top of cars and trucks .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

JohnT2240 wrote:
Cowpokey

How did your bum feel after being in the Outback for and extended period time . Do you notice if your knees are up as high as your chest or does it just look that way ? I notice the Pro angler seat you seem to set a little high then the pedals I'm sure it's the position of the seat .

Did you get the turbo fins on the Mirage Drive ?

Yes cost and weight are both really high on the list . But I'm looking at buying and keeping for a long time , No matter which I go with .

My rearend started to get a little sore after about 5 hours each day. I'm going to look into some kind of pad for the seat. Don't know if I'll go with the Hobie version or another.

My knees were up kind of high, but not uncomfortable. I put the pedals in the last hole for the longest setting, but then the left pedal would hit the inside of the hull at full extention which would make a thump sound...I was fishing pretty shallow, so I didn't want to be transmitting that noise to the fish around me.

I have standard fins, might get turbo fins later. It seems plenty fast right now; I'm sure that will change the first time I fish with someone with turbos, especially if they are in a Revo or Adventure.

Edit Add: I plan on keeping mine for a long time also. Will be buying another kayak for my daughter as soon as finances allow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cowpokey

I have two young men that are involved with kayaking and fishing ,I'm glad to see that you're getting daughter involved in the sport we so love .
I was wondering if the ability to stand up and stretch your legs would have helped from not having a sore bum .Did you you try to stand ?
I was even looking into the side kick Ama kit to see if that would let me stand and fish . And the first thought that came to my mind is when I'm bass fishing around the flooded timber they would probably get hung up on the tree tops sticking up out of the water . Or does anybody know can they be retracted in to the side of the kayak ? or evened folded up ?

I did look and seen some guys actually adding a Jackson kayak seat to there Outback and it looked pretty cool . I even saw one fellow add a turkey hunt seat to his Outback , I believe he purchase it from Bass Pro . All some really good ideas .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I haven't tried standing in the Outback.

I don't see the need to stand, personally. I've been kayak fishing for well over a decade; if "catching" was the only thing that mattered, standing might be more important. I get on the water to have fun, and relax...sitting is a natural position for that goal.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I understand ,I just was wondering if you had tried . I know kayaking for me is the quietness of the water slapping the hull of the boat . And as always catching fish second .
One of the guys from the kayak club I belong to has an Outback and PA for me to try,(poor fellow owns two Hobies ) . I'm going to see if we can hook up some time this weekend to give them a spin .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

JohnT2240 wrote:
I understand ,I just was wondering if you had tried . I know kayaking for me is the quietness of the water slapping the hull of the boat . And as always catching fish second .
One of the guys from the kayak club I belong to has an Outback and PA for me to try,(poor fellow owns two Hobies ) . I'm going to see if we can hook up some time this weekend to give them a spin .
When the water warms up and I might try standing. Definitely not going to try standing with the temperature we have right now, especially with my daughter along. If we went for a swim on flat water my wife would never let her fish with me again. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Was your daughter riding with you in the Hobie ? Or did you have another kayak for her ? I no with my youngest son he loves to just get out and explore , I mean he likes to fish but he likes the independence of being the captain of his own boat . Even though it's plastic .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

JohnT2240 wrote:
Was your daughter riding with you in the Hobie ? Or did you have another kayak for her ? I no with my youngest son he loves to just get out and explore , I mean he likes to fish but he likes the independence of being the captain of his own boat . Even though it's plastic .

She's been sitting on the front hatch while we fish. She took it for a spin by herself after we finished fishing today.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cowpokey
Man that cool ! just get her out there . We started out on canoe , kayak , and whitewater rafting . I think my youngest one was 6 or 7 when we got him started in the paddling sport .
If you check with your local kayak clubs to see if they have safety class or even check with the dealer where you bought your kayak from .So you and your daughter could take them together . Its a great idea just in case you guys are separated and something happened ,it will give her the confidence not to get excited that everything will be fine ,stay calm .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hello, i read most of the posts and wanted to add my limited experience. Hope it helps.

I have a PA 14 and I top load it on my Tahoe. Its not hard, but I am reasonably tall, 6' and 38 yrs old with a spare tire. But turning it on its side to get it in the front gate of my home (without scratching it badly) is a pain in the rear. I know the PA 12 is a little more narrow but it could be very tough to shuffle in and out of a camper without a 2nd person if you have to roll it on its side.

Also I mostly launch off of wide open beaches. I do worry a little about launching in streams deep in the woods where I might have to improvise my launch spot; or the trail to the water might not be too friendly for a 3' wide, 100+ lb boat.

I hate to discourage someone from a PA. I love mine, wouldn't trade it for anything. And I do think harder prep time is worth better fishing time, but if its gonna limit what you want to do or make your day a nightmare it might not be the right kayak.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Do you mean you set the PA on the spare tire of the truck ?? No just kidding . I finally got in touch with the guy in our club we are going to take out a PA 14 and an Outback he believes that one of his buddy's would lend us his PA 12 to try out . I'm so excited I can't wait , he swears by his PA 14 and feels it's a good choice , but it's a big boat . So hopefully I will just go and pick my kayak out .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Do you mean you set the PA on the spare tire of the truck ?? No just kidding . I finally got in touch with the guy in our club we are going to take out a PA 14 and an Outback he believes that one of his buddy's would lend us his PA 12 to try out . I'm so excited I can't wait , he swears by his PA 14 and feels it's a good choice , but it's a big boat . So hopefully I will just go and pick my kayak out .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My Outback is great for car-top loading, I put it on our Versa as well as our Mazda5. I thought about a PA12 but the weight and size put me off. I also like being lower in the water, spent 5 hours fishing/pedaling the DE Bay/Ocean on Saturday and never once did I get uncomfortable or sore. I can't wait to get back out there this Saturday!

Good luck in your choice!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Coastal Dan
Did you just purchase your Outback or have you had it ? I like the 2014 model with transducer built into the hull . That's got help protect it against underwater damage or running a ground on the shore . Do you have any pictures of your setup ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought my Outback this past fall, it is a 2008. It was in excellent condition, bone stock, and hardly used so I couldn't pass it up. Since then I've added quite a bit...I use the RamMount transducer arm for my Lowrance unit; I agree with you though, I like the cover that is on the new models.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next