Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:03 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:13 pm
Posts: 45
Very nice . You did good job setting up your Outback how's your transducer attract to your kayak ? Is that a Ram mount ? Where was that picture takin at ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:27 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:02 pm
Posts: 15
Thanks. Attaches by a Ram-Ball mount - 1". Picture was taken at Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes, DE. Home port for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:54 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:13 pm
Posts: 45
The fishing pier in the back ground looked like the one at Rehoboth De I spent some time there fishing years ago . But I know where Lewes that's where the ferry comes across from Cape May me and my wife love it there . Man that's cool .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:14 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:27 am
Posts: 27
On Outback vs Pro Angler 12. I mostly fish for bass. I have a 2009 Outback and a 2013 PA14. When first looking at a PA, I wanted the PA12 but purchased the PA14 because I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs. The Hobie Rep for my area (who also guided me in 2009 to the Outback) advised I get the longer PA as the PA12 would excessively dip, due to my size, when I stood. I love both kayaks. My butt has never gotten wet in the Outback. I purchased the PA14 because I kayak camp/fish (usually in the Adirondacks) twice a year. 150 lbs. of gear and myself in the Outback sits it too low in the water, while I can take everything I want in the PA14. The PA14 is the best fishing platform I ever encountered. I'm in my 60's, and spend 10 fishing hours a day in my kayak(s) while camping. The seat in the PA14 is definitely more comfortable than the Outback seat. I can also stand up and stretch ( a necessity with me) in the PA14 rather than having to land the Outback for that purpose. I have had both kayaks out in gusts in excess of 35 mph with no concerns. I have quit fishing because I couldn't control the line, in high wind, and have never considered quitting out of concern for either kayak capsizing. The sole downside I have found with the PA14 is that the Outback beats the PA14 on portages. I pull the Outback (on a Paddlecart) over rough terrain and steep inclines that I would never attempt with the PA14 heavy duty cart (through the scupper holes). I hope my experience may be beneficial to you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:06 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:44 am
Posts: 15
Location: Maryland
I Jeep top :mrgreen: ; car topping with a good rack would be easier.

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:17 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:13 pm
Posts: 45
Nice , I have a 2006 Jeep Unlimited that I intended on using as my Hobie hauler when I'm not camping and have truck with me I love my truck but man the price of diesel fuel is out of control and really don't drive unless I need to , I like the pool noodle idea .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:33 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:13 pm
Posts: 45
ronrbaker wrote:
On Outback vs Pro Angler 12. I mostly fish for bass. I have a 2009 Outback and a 2013 PA14. When first looking at a PA, I wanted the PA12 but purchased the PA14 because I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs. The Hobie Rep for my area (who also guided me in 2009 to the Outback) advised I get the longer PA as the PA12 would excessively dip, due to my size, when I stood. I love both kayaks. My butt has never gotten wet in the Outback. I purchased the PA14 because I kayak camp/fish (usually in the Adirondacks) twice a year. 150 lbs. of gear and myself in the Outback sits it too low in the water, while I can take everything I want in the PA14. The PA14 is the best fishing platform I ever encountered. I'm in my 60's, and spend 10 fishing hours a day in my kayak(s) while camping. The seat in the PA14 is definitely more comfortable than the Outback seat. I can also stand up and stretch ( a necessity with me) in the PA14 rather than having to land the Outback for that purpose. I have had both kayaks out in gusts in excess of 35 mph with no concerns. I have quit fishing because I couldn't control the line, in high wind, and have never considered quitting out of concern for either kayak capsizing. The sole downside I have found with the PA14 is that the Outback beats the PA14 on portages. I pull the Outback (on a Paddlecart) over rough terrain and steep inclines that I would never attempt with the PA14 heavy duty cart (through the scupper holes). I hope my experience may be beneficial to you.

Well how do transport your Pro Angler or your Outback ? I'm sure you trailer the Pro Angler . On the the weather channel said we going to heavy rains this week I live in the north east ,probably not going to take any kayak until maybe this weekend .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:14 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:27 am
Posts: 27
I trailer both kayaks on a Yakima Rack and Roll. The Outback is transported on its gunwales (canoe stops on the bars). The PA14 is transported on Makos in front and Hully Rollers in rear. I added a six inch mini-roller (from OakOrchard) between the Hully Rollers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:45 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:13 pm
Posts: 45
Do you have any pictures of your trailer ? I know two guys in the kayak club uses a trailer setup for there Pro Angler , did you convert a seadoo trailer . Or was it a regular kayak trailer ? Not to be ignorant but I never heard of a Mako trailer I've seen boats . I really can't until the weather breaks so I can go take these boats for spin .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:51 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:27 am
Posts: 27
Hello Again John T.,

I'm not good at posting pictures; therefore, I'd have to request my wife assist me and if necessary, I will ask her. I believe a better alternative to be found on the internet. If you look up "Yakima Mako Saddles Roof Mounted Kayak Carrier Review" and scroll down to the first Youtube, this video shows the Mako Saddles and the Hully Rollers. I have these supports mounted on my Rack and Roll trailer. Also, look up "Yakima Rack and Roll Trailer." There are a number of photos under this title as well as Youtube videos.

I have read, in this forum, that some people believe the Mako Saddles and Hully Rollers will not support a PA14. I have had a different experience. I have towed my PA14, with these supports, from southern Delaware to the Tupper Lake/Lake Placid region in the Adirondacks with no issues. I also chose the Yakima Trailer because it tolerates high interstate speeds (70 mph is the new slowpoke). I had no issues with this trailer while traveling (and this trailer travels a lot). For full disclosure, I must add that after 4 years, the sealed Yakima Trailer bearings seized (I noticed during my routine trip prep) and I had to replace those bearings (the sealed bearings cost $80 per wheel, uninstalled). I'm not sure why the bearings seized (I store the trailer in the garage), but it always seems to rain on my way to the Adirondacks and I suspect water somehow got into the bearings.

Whatever trailer and kayak supports you use, I have no doubt you will love your fishing platform.

Ron Baker

P.S.- Many PA owners use 2" or 3" PVC supports on their trailers. I do store my PA14 on 3" PVC with no deformation to the hull.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:34 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:13 pm
Posts: 45
Thanks for the reply Ron , I'll go search it out on there web site and check it out for sure . I must say that everybody here on this forum has been great with information about the Hobie brand of kayak it's like being in a huge family . Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:58 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:48 am
Posts: 8
Just wanted to add my 2 cents here. I have a 2014 Outback and absolutely love it. I've peddled all the Hobie's, and for me the Outback gives me the speed/stability/storage/maneuverability that's a perfect combo. The PA is a great fishing platform but just a bit too big for many of my applications. I'm not the biggest guy at 5-7" 160lbs and often stand to sight cast, and move freely about the yak to access the front and rear hatch with no stability issues. The biggest improvement for me was the addition of the Browning turkey hunting chair mentioned above, it pretty much turns the Outback into a mini-PA. With the stock seat I can last 4-6 hours before needing to stretch my legs/back, with the chair added its a non-issue, I can be on the water 12-hours straight. The seat does raise the center of gravity, so for offshore or moving water situations I revert back to the stock seat. I can't upload any pics, but you can see the setup in the video below.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk6iVxjSLyM[/youtube]

Tight Lines,
beenfishin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:38 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:44 am
Posts: 15
Location: Maryland
JohnT2240 wrote:
Nice , I have a 2006 Jeep Unlimited that I intended on using as my Hobie hauler when I'm not camping and have truck with me I love my truck but man the price of diesel fuel is out of control and really don't drive unless I need to , I like the pool noodle idea .

Pool noodles keep the screws from the rod holder covers from scratching the hardtop...scratched the new Jeep's hard top A LOT before I realized it. All better now, I picked up some touch-up paint and re-colored the top where the screws scratched the paint off.

I'll be taking the top and doors off the TJ (my Jeep, the JK is my wife's) as soon as mother nature decides it's spring here...then the Outback will be hauled across the roll bar and windshield.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:48 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:13 pm
Posts: 45
beenfishin wrote:
Just wanted to add my 2 cents here. I have a 2014 Outback and absolutely love it. I've peddled all the Hobie's, and for me the Outback gives me the speed/stability/storage/maneuverability that's a perfect combo. The PA is a great fishing platform but just a bit too big for many of my applications. I'm not the biggest guy at 5-7" 160lbs and often stand to sight cast, and move freely about the yak to access the front and rear hatch with no stability issues. The biggest improvement for me was the addition of the Browning turkey hunting chair mentioned above, it pretty much turns the Outback into a mini-PA. With the stock seat I can last 4-6 hours before needing to stretch my legs/back, with the chair added its a non-issue, I can be on the water 12-hours straight. The seat does raise the center of gravity, so for offshore or moving water situations I revert back to the stock seat. I can't upload any pics, but you can see the setup in the video below.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk6iVxjSLyM[/youtube]

Tight Lines,
beenfishin


I can not get your link to open , that's was one of things I was looking at ,was to raise the seat also if I purchase the Outback .Do you have any pictures or details on what you did to get if to fit inside the Outback ? Did you actually attach the seat to the Outback ?
My Ride has an elevated seat and I can say that I can fish for hours and my legs or butt not going numb and it seems to give more ability to move around and get to your fishing equipment a lot easier . All though when it's a windy day ,you get blew around like a leaf on the water because you catch the wind setting up higher , I don't the ability to switch to a lower seat because I only have one position and I did not purchase a low seat . That's one of the things that really dislike about the kayak I have other than it does not have any pedals . :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:59 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:13 pm
Posts: 45
I just happened to be looking through some adds the other day and found a used Smittybilt roof rack to fit my Unlimited . Score . the sold it to me for $100 bucks , it attaches to the door hinges and the bumper bracket .


http://www.4wd.com/aux_incl/images.ashx ... =350&h=350

It will hold up to 300 lbs that would take care of either the Outback or the Pro Angler .


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group