Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well for my birthday (last Friday) I split the cost of the Spring Creek stabilizers with my folks. I guess the parents did not approve of my awesome double-wipeout :lol:
New thread will be started when I put them on and get sailing again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Happy Belated Birthday!

Sounds like a nice B'Day present too. I cannot wait to see them and sail along with you again. May have to be later in June. I do not know if I will get out again before Holiday. I am hoping to and will keep an eye out for the next trip planned to NBB.

Spring Creek has one heck of a sailing kit too with sail, stabilizers and lee boards.
http://store.springcreek.com/Sail-Kits/ ... p1553.html

Revo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After I put on the stabilizers, I will be out on NBB any weekend its too rough/windy to fish offshore. Those will be my sailing days.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jcanracer wrote:
So, I have become a victim of my own hubris. It was my belief that I could sail my Revo11 without amas. For calm weather, that's actually true. For winds 15 knots and over, well... you be the judge:
http://youtu.be/NVRbX3T2NQA

Edit: sorry the video is long because I didn't do much editing. Sail unfurls at 1:34 and the flip happens sometime after the 8 minute mark.

Which came first in the video.... the choreography or the music? They're timed so perfectly together!!

10 outta 10. Would watch again! :mrgreen:

I was actually thinking of buying a used 2016 Revo 11 that someone is selling locally for a pretty good deal... even tho I've been waiting for a Revo 13 and just haven't found one yet.

But then I started to wonder how the Vantage seats really affect sailing. Has anyone noticed a tippier ride in the Pre- and Post-2015 Hobies??

Anyway... glad I still haven't hopped on the Hobie bandwagon yet, because my #1 fear has just become so very real... that I'll buy one and they'll make some super awesome upgrade that makes all prior Hobies obsolete. I mentioned before on here that the seats were terrible, and then they put the Vantage seats in the next year's model, along with half a dozen other awesome changes. And two years later, they're adding reverse!! Now there isn't one single drawback to a Hobie kayak, other than the price. Hopefully the recent competition will help with that last part. Perhaps Hobie can just leave well enough alone and make a cheaper product??

The 2015 and 2017 upgrades really did destroy the resale value of prior Hobie kayaks, IMHO. These upgrades are just so good that I couldn't possibly live with myself knowing that such major flaws have finally been corrected. I mean.... I'll pay like $1200 for a 2016 or earlier Hobie kayak now, but not much more. :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No stability lost with the vantage seat in the low position. In the high position, it's minimal.