Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can anyone suggest the best type/make of rod for kayak fishing ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'd look for a rod which has a handle and a place to mount a reel on the thick end, and some line guides on the thin end. To make any more detailed recommendations, I'd need to know what kind of fish you want to fish for, and how you want to fish for them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since I fish for trout, steelhead and salmon, I use a Lamiglas 8' 6", Kenai Pro, G1341-T, two piece rod and a Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6501 reel with Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon, 17 pound test line....I love this combo and rarely lose a hooked fish :wink:
This works for river bank fishing casting spinners, kayak trolling either top lining or with a down rigger as needed or jigging over kokanee salmon...."it's the best all around set up for my use".

When fishing for sturgeon in the Columbia River, it's basically deep sea rigs.......7' Ugly stick Tiger rod, Penn 320 GT reel and 50 pound test high tech line.

So, there is a wide choice of gear to choose from....all depends on where you fish and what you are seeking......my basic rule is don't use light tackle unless you are fishing for pan fish.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

brigguy wrote:
Can anyone suggest the best type/make of rod for kayak fishing ?

You need to be more specific than that. A lot depends on your intended target, and your intended type of fishing (fly-fishing/casting plugs/livebaiting/vertical jigging/bottom fishing).

Here's one of each of my setups for example:
Inshore trout/snook fishing - Star Stellar lite 6'6" rod (8-16lb class). Paired with a Shimano Stradic Ci4 4000.
Offshore vertical jigging - Shimano Trevala 6'6" (50-80lb class). Paired with a Daiwa Saltist LD35.
Offshore live-bait or trolling - Shimano Tallus 6'6" (MH). Paired with a Penn Squall LD40.

With that said, you might see some commonalities in my gear. I prefer to use rods between 6'6" and 7' (sufficient to clear the bow on my revo11 and not too long as to be unwieldy) and my inshore rods have slightly shorter handles.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Skirting the whole "what are you targeting & what technique are you using" issue, here's some very broad specifications based on what I prefer.

1. I use 2 piece rods because they are easier to stow & transport. You're A LOT less likely to break the tip of a 2 piece in a car or house door :). The strength & sensitivity of quality modern 2 piece rods is the same as one piece rods IMO. I've never broken one at the joint. I've broken tips on short striking fish which would happen with a one piece also.

2. I prefer 7' minimum rods as that allows about a 10' radius from the cockpit to swing around the bow (& possibly the stern) of the boat depending on grip & arm extension.

3. I prefer longer handles since you have a longer area to grip while working a fish around the boat or when transfering the rod from one hand to another.

4. I prefer baitcasters to spinning reels, except with light tackle. I never stand in the boat & spinning reels can hang into my lap or bang into my thighs while pedaling, especially if you're cranking the handle at the same time. I can also cast one handed or backhanded with a baitcaster MUCH more easily since I don't have to flip a bail. You're casting angle is much lower to the water in a kayak so you have less time to feather your line - much easier to do with a baitcaster.

All this is just personal preference & opinion. Plenty of guys will feel exactly the opposite for exactly the same reasons :).