Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok, Got a little Cash saved up (Shhhhh, wife does not know!). What would benefit me more. 6:1 downhaul or go with Adjustable Jib Traveler System.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:57 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Jib travelers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jared's. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I guess it depends on what type of jib system you currently have but if no adjustable jib travellers exist than that would be most beneficial for sure!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just have the manual adjusting jib cars. Pull pin and slide.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jib travelers. They are going to be adjusted much more often than downhaul

Although. The easy to adjust downhaul system will seriously help teach you the importance of that control once small changes can easily be made

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I know the old pin style travellers are a pain to adjust on the fly but easy enough when sailing 2-up. I'm guessing you want to upgrade to the spring loaded carts? (spring loaded by bungee rope). Having these certainly helps when your tacking for that perfect direction with maximum power.
On the flip side, the 6:1 downhaul has some huge advantages too enabling you to easily adjust from a loose rig in low winds to a tight rig when it really starts blowing. Mmmmmm.........

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

6:1 Down Haul does not change the rig tension,It is your Cunningham control.It does help you to adjust it easier.
It is the added Cam Cleat and Cheek block,combined with the Aussie. Jib Halyard that allows you to adjust rig tension.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I already have the adjustable jib cars so last week I went out and bought a 6:1 downhaul.
I have only sailed this boat once and already I wanted this downhaul system!
Ronstan blocks and 6mm Spectra is what I bought.
Question
How do u get a 3/16 screw into the sail track slot?
I was imagining putting the saddle with screws and nuts fitted, into the track, and sliding it down to the right position. Not with 3/16 I'm not! My gut instinct tells me 5/32 is too small for the pressure of a downhaul/Cunningham.
Am I missing something here?
Is there a trick?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmadge wrote:
6:1 Down Haul does not change the rig tension,It is your Cunningham control.It does help you to adjust it easier.
It is the added Cam Cleat and Cheek block,combined with the Aussie. Jib Halyard that allows you to adjust rig tension.

:) one could say downhaul does effect rig tension by bending the mast, effectively loosening the rig a little.

Sent from my stone tablet

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cosmicsedso wrote:
I was imagining putting the saddle with screws and nuts fitted, into the track, and sliding it down to the right position. Not with 3/16 I'm not! My gut instinct tells me 5/32 is too small for the pressure of a downhaul/Cunningham.
Is there a trick?

Not sure what size they are, but I'm pretty sure Hobie uses the same SS screws (8030111) and (square) SS nuts (8051301) that are used for the original downhaul cleat, boom vang eye strap, etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Jared's. :wink:

Hah! Absolutely the best idea!

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I believe most of these "go fast" ad-on things don't really make much difference to the average sailor. playing with the down-haul can be a distraction and will actually slow you down or take you off course. Just over or under steering a little bit at A-mark can cost you a few boat lengths. Down-haul on a 16 Just isn't a super important adjustment. Now adding the jib traveler system is a good idea because simplifies jib car traveling. For most of us the best thing we can do to the boat to make it faster is easy and free......Sail more.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

rattle 'n hum wrote:
Cosmicsedso wrote:
Is there a trick?

Not sure what size they are, but I'm pretty sure Hobie uses the same SS screws (8030111) and (square) SS nuts (8051301) that are used for the original downhaul cleat, boom vang eye strap, etc.

Those SS screws on the original cleat are 15mm too long to re-use on a saddle. I believe there is a class legal solution so I will be contacting my very helpful Hobie dealer asap.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hobieandy wrote:
I believe most of these "go fast" ad-on things don't really make much difference to the average sailor. playing with the down-haul can be a distraction and will actually slow you down or take you off course. Just over or under steering a little bit at A-mark can cost you a few boat lengths. Down-haul on a 16 Just isn't a super important adjustment. Now adding the jib traveler system is a good idea because simplifies jib car traveling. For most of us the best thing we can do to the boat to make it faster is easy and free......Sail more.

I want to sail with my wife more than I want to race. On our very first sail, when the breeze got up and I was looking to depower (quickly) the standard setup was hopeless. I have also made sure the spectra I purchased for the 6:1 was yellow! If I want to race I have the class legal gear. If I want to have a 'sedate' sail with my wife I can more easily control the power and avoid the repercussions of getting a bit out of shape. My wife likes sedate!