Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am in the process of rigging my new/used 1988 H21SE and I am finding information regarding this for my comprehension level very hard to find. For some reason the way that I have it rigged currently (wrongly I assume) the jamb cleat and fairlead are not stationary. Therefore, the entire set up the traveler block, jamb cleat and fairlead move back and forth on the traveler track. So I have to hold onto the main sheet the entire time I’m sailing. Again, I know this is not right but for the life of me I can’t see what I’m doing wrong. Other Hobie manuals show the jamb cleat and fairlead welded to the aft cross bar but I don’t see that on the 21SE. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jb21SE...unfortunately your post is on the wrong forum......this is the kayak forum....suggest going back to the Hobie Cat Sailing Forum.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pm sent............

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi jb21SE, Did you get your question answered?
It sounds like you are not cleating the traveler. The bitter end of your main sheet should run through the traveler to the fairlead mounted on the center line aft of the traveler track, you just put a stopper knot in it. You can then cleat the traveler with one end of the main sheet and use the other to control the main blocks.
Make sense? If not, I can take a picture tonight.

-Todd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Todd,
I had an ahha moment last night and came up with the very same answer. That was exactly what it was I was not cleating the traveler. When I had my 16 the cleat and fairlead were stationary and for some reason when I saw the ones on the 21 moving I figured I had done something wrong. Another question about my hull numbers you may know. The ones on this cat are CCMM061C888. Does the 61 mean the number of production?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry, I didn't get notified that you had replied :-(
I'll look at my numbers when I get home tonight, I know for sure my boat number (31), I'll see if they match the serial number.
I'm dying to get on the water, storms all weekend...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am in the process of rigging my new/used 1988 H21SE and I am finding information regarding this for my comprehension level very hard to find. For some reason the way that I have it rigged currently (wrongly I assume) the jamb cleat and fairlead are not stationary. Therefore, the entire set up the traveler block, jamb cleat and fairlead move back and forth on the traveler track. So I have to hold onto the main sheet the entire time I’m sailing. Again, I know this is not right but for the life of me I can’t see what I’m doing wrong. Other Hobie manuals show the jamb cleat and fairlead welded to the aft cross bar but I don’t see that on the 21SE. Any ideas?

I have the same question/problem. The traveler does not stay in one position, we have to hold it in place.
any suggestions/information would be helpful.

also having trouble figuring out how to keep the tiller extension from interfering with the traveler when turning. We are doing something fundamentally wrong.