Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rig Tension
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A question for those of you that have been sailing 14's for years...what is a good rig tension for day sailing?

I noticed in some tuning guides/articles the tension is super loose...wouldn't you dismast during a capsize if it's too loose?

I am sailing una rig, 1983 boat and I am running all new OEM standing rigging....have turbo rigging but prefer the 14 classic setup. I gather that I need some mast rake, just trying to get a feel for what the consensus is out there.

Post subject: Re: Rig Tension
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The rig is loose so you can rake the mast forwards downwind, and backwards upwind. With no jib, you should run a mast rake adjusting line from the bridle to a cleat installed on the front crossbar.

You want to rake back as far as possible. I use two adjusters stacked on my forestay. The tradeoff is a rig that can slop around and a boom that is very low. For me, the better upwind handling and reduced pitch pole tendency is worth it.

Yes, you can dismast during a capsize. I've done it and it's awful. The solution is to use the excess halyard and wrap from the halyard cleat around the dolphin striker a few times like in this photo: