Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an Adventure kayak rigged for sailing and fishing and have run into a design conflict which does not allow, the newly bought Hobie Livewell, to be installed when there is a Sidekick AMA Kit installed.

The bar for the Sidekick runs above the scupper holes right where the live well's "business end" needs to be positioned. Engineering-wise, with the Hobie Company talent and manufacturing capabilities, I don't see much difficulty in restructuring and repositioning the crossbar right behind the seat and still maintaining the structural integrity to operate the Sidekicks.

Would be nice to know if Hobie has had this issue on the table, I doubt being the first to uncover it.
Any comments would be appreciated, as I would love that bait well on my Adventure along with the Sidekicks for deep sea fishing.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:44 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Ed17 wrote:
The bar for the Sidekick runs above the scupper holes right where the live well's "business end" needs to be positioned. Engineering-wise, with the Hobie Company talent and manufacturing capabilities, I don't see much difficulty in restructuring and repositioning the crossbar right behind the seat and still maintaining the structural integrity to operate the Sidekicks.
That space behind the seat is needed for the seatback to recline. Remount your Sidekicks at the front of the cockpit (they can be mounted anywhere) -- you can still reach them for adjustments. That should solve your problem. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey there, thanks for your well intended reply; however, I don't think that the front was the intended place for the sidekicks, fish are reeled in from the front and thats not where I'd want to see an obstruction, reminds me of a kid's little bike..where do the training wheels go? front or back??..no offense, but the front position just seems like an awkward place.

Regarding the back of the seat position, the bar would be only on top of that back support of the kayak seat and would not interfere with the reclining of the seat.
While thinking this out.. I wondered if anyone ever used two sets of sidekicks , front and back, for ultra stability in rough seas? Would look strange but who knows.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to add your comments, that is how company R&D engineering gurus kick things around to find design solutions. Maybe someone at Hobie could add their ideas.

Cheers,

Ed

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

You could move the bar forward... just ahead of the LiveWell or possibly just behind. The attachment points you are using are primarily for the Island conversion. SideKicks can be installed anywhere using the wellnuts.

We have also have an Island LiveWell conversion kit that slides the tank aft and re-routes the tubes. 72021035 in the catalog $26.99

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Put the sidekicks on the front. If you reel a fish in from that position, just turn the boat and bring the fish from behind the sidekicks. The nice thing about the Mirage Drive is that it gives you total freedom to move the boat where ever you want it, even while fighting a fish.

I have my sidekicks on the front of my Revo 13. I've tried them both front and back and I much prefer the front.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

To: mmiller, thanks for your info., thought the attachment points, besides the obvious Island conversion, had to be used for the side kicks for some structural reason, you clarified that point.
I will look into Island LiveWell conversion kit before repositioning the sidekick bar, didn't know that existed..thanks.

To Tom: it would be interesting to reposition the sidekicks forward and see how that goes with sailing the Adventure, there is more than one way to skin the cat.:-))

Thanks guys.