Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New seat 2014
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The WS phase 3 seat is incredibly comfortable. Had a ride 115 for a bit and loved that seat. The Hobie seat is definitely different and I don't think it will require that much to make it better. For me, if the back on it was just a few inches taller and there was a bit more cushioning in the butt, I'd be completely happy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

BrookFieldAngler wrote:
The WS phase 3 seat is incredibly comfortable. Had a ride 115 for a bit and loved that seat. The Hobie seat is definitely different and I don't think it will require that much to make it better. For me, if the back on it was just a few inches taller and there was a bit more cushioning in the butt, I'd be completely happy.

where did you buy it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The seat? Came with the WS.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

BrookFieldAngler wrote:
The seat? Came with the WS.

Impossible to buy alone?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They're not sold as an aftermarket accessory. I managed to obtain one only because the owner is a friend of mine. I installed it in an older Kayak I had. Still the best kayak seat ever devised for most such craft.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually it might not be a problem finding one of those ws seats in an old ws kayak. At least around here in south Florida near the water we see kayaks in every other yard, I suspect people buy them with the intent of going out in the water, they use them for a short while, then they sit in their yard for years, then go on cl for fifty bucks ( pretty much all the brands except Hobie). Human nature just like gym memberships and gym equipment (lol). Chances are the hulls are scrap but it's unlikely they would store the seats in the boat outside. If you know the models that seat came with, it might be a way to get one for free (just offer to remove the boat, that's all most want to do is just get rid of the eye sore, or offer a small teppence.). Typically a couple yrs in the sun and weather down here, the hulls are scrap and brittle anyway. Might be a good way to get a good seat, if we know the models they came with, it might be worth watching Craig's list.
Chances are 98 out of a hundred of those seats only saw water twice (human nature).
Just a thought
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those seats were sort of built into the boats so they'd most likely be stored with the boat. However, they can be removed and refitted to other boats so if you can find such a used boat for even a couple hundred and the seat is in good shape, it's worth every penny.

There have been a few different versions of the Phase 3 seat to accommodate different hull types. I still prefer the original version although it was made to fit sit inside yaks and isn't always easy to retrofit to a sit on top.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

felvic wrote:
I found this custom seat:

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/913113/upgraded-hobie-outback-seat-diy

Look nice for low price... :wink:

I have that on my outback now, wrote a thread about it some weeks back. So far so good after sea trials. Serious fishing about to start soon.

I've tried both the Jackson and Native seats in my Revo last year. Reasonably ok, but too far back. With this Outback and lowered $40 sling seat chair set right over the seat well, all seems balanced fore/aft now. Looking forward to putting in some serious hours soon.

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have had but one problem with the Jackson seat in my Outback, the seat being back a few more inches making me lean forward for the rudder handle all the time. Other than that it`s working out great for me.
As for the rudder handle problem i fixed that my turning it around facing to the rear with a adapter.

I made sure the adapter had a nice tight fit as i built it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:45 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Great innovation, well done and nicely documented! Thanks for sharing. 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I could almost swear the "New Seat 2014" topic/subject was not registered in the forum a few days ago, but I also suspect my mind is not totally registered either. Anyway, I do not want this subject to quietly fade away. Within the past year (I'm 63), I have developed some lower back discomfort. I currently own an Outback and a ProAngler 14. Outside the lack of lumbar support, I have no serious complaints with the Outback seat. I have logged many hours fishing in relative comfort (and my butt has never gotten wet). However, the vantage seat on my PA is a whole different dimension of comfort.

First thing- I'd like to see Hobie design a retrofit vantage style seat for the Outback. My reasoning is that such a seat would benefit both Hobie and Hobie buyers. Most Outback owners have discovered the sail rudder and turbo fins as necessary additions to the Outback, which produce a nice profit for Hobie. I believe it likely a retrofit vantage style seat for the Outback would also become a necessary addition (for people like me) and produce another nice profit for Hobie. (The PA vantage seat lists for $560, which considering the nominal cost of the relative materials, suggest a nice profit.) Further, I do not see the standard Outback seat as obsolete. The standard Outback seat should be kept for both the kayak's stability (COG) and price control while the retrofit seat would be sold separately for the purpose of unsurpassed comfort (for which I'm willing to pay). Therefore, I believe the advantage style seat would be a winning issue for everyone.

Secondly- a number of forum members have suggested either the Skwoosh High back or the WS Phase 3 air pro to alleviate discomfort. Until such a time as Hobie develops a vantage style seat for the Outback, I would like opinions as to which of these two alternatives provide the best lumbar support (or should I just purchase a turkey hunting seat at $40-$50)?

I'd appreciate feedback on these two subjects.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I got my Freedom Hawk 12, due to scuppers not being that great and my launching of the yak by standing with one foot in it, both hands on the stand up bar, and one foot on the launch pad, I ended up with a lot of water floating around inside the yak.

I bought Freedom Hawk's Elite Guide seat, which is apparently made by Jackson. Typical Freedom Hawk, there was no package to mount the seat. My sons, one is a construction management engineer and the other is an avid biker and a wine cellar master came to their Dad's help. They installed a couple of pad eye hooks and attached the seat with the greatest invention for man since Velcro, Plastic Cable ties. It worked great.

Then, I bought the FH Pathfinder and got a small discount by saying I didn't need the uncomfortable and wet standard seat. We cut the cable ties on the FH 12, and put the Elite Guide Seat in my new Pathfinder and used the eye hooks on the Pathfinder.

The seat is very comfortable and the back angle can be adjusted, but not the seat height and angle. One could Rube Goldberg to adjust the seat height and angle if desired.

The seat is very sturdy and is going on its fourth year. It is built so any water on it will drip down to the yak floor.

http://store.freedomhawkkayaks.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

At my local kayak shop they have a '14 inflatable hobie. Seat pegs could be installed in it and it has a few straps to cut off if it's not going to be used in an inflatable, But the seat pad is twice as thick as all the other seats in the showroom on the non-inflatable hobiesmand there is a bunch more padding in the back. I think the space below the grey inflatable back area is even filled. Looks like a nice upgrade from the standard seat.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

can't wait for new revo seat. gonna bite the bullet and get a ws phase 3 and make it work !!
love my boat, hate the seat.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Old Man Revo wrote:
can't wait for new revo seat. gonna bite the bullet and get a ws phase 3 and make it work !!

Give us a feedback! :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next