Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Small Trimarans
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
The Ninja Spider never went into production. Only two were built. They, and the plans, molds, etc., are currently for sale by the designer.

Exactly!. Which is why I posted it HERE. :wink: - :wink:, Nudge - Nudge,..

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom, I just got back from the Cedar Key Small Boat Meet. One of the boats on the beach directly in front of our condo was a new, out-the-box Weta. You haven't said much about yours, but the Weta is a very impressive boat. It weighs only about 35# more than a Tandem, is a simple design with main, jib, furling gennaker, & tramps. Costs $12,500, but it is very impressive.

What do you think of yours? Can you handle it (set up, take down, sail) like the TI?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's great. Lots of fun. Quick to accelerate, exciting and yet just forgiving enough that you won't kill yourself with it if you have a little sailing experience. It will capsize easier than they'd have you believe, however. Sets up in about 20 to 25 minutes (less once you get used to it). I can do it easily, including stepping the mast, by myself. Performance wise I'd put it between an H14 and an H16. It does tack a lot better than most cats, spins on a dime in fact.

It is faster than the TI, although perhaps less versatile (I won't be fishing out of the Weta). I have the furling jib which is nice. The main can't be furled or reefed, although I also have the smaller "storm" main but you have to pull one sail down to raise another. Not something easy to do on the water so you need to figure out how much "canvas" you need before you go out. The 3 sail combination gives you a lot of options.

If you just want to go out and rip around, it's a really great boat. An absolute blast in fact. If you want to take a "voyage," fish, explore, etc., then I still prefer the TI.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, Tom. Good comparison.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Of course, if your "Wet Dream Tri" is a little BIGGER,..

http://www.neel-trimarans.com/en/nos-trimarans/neel-45/visite-3d/

Man, I didn't want to wake up last night. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Speaking from the comfortable position of having no hope of even owning its steering wheel. please allow my critique. Entry to the berths in the outer hulls via skylight? Give me a break! Slavery is no longer legal.

The circular theme of saloon and cockpit looks cute, but wastes a lot of space. There is a Leopard 43 (South African made catamaran) tied up locally, and it has heaps more room, and the cat configuration makes the hulls far more accessible.

See, I have almost convinced myself that I would turn my nose up if someone offered it to me for nothing (WHAT AM I SAYING???) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: