Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's all gal but I'm a bit cautious still as I use this trailer for a lot of things ( work, family camps and scout troop) and really can't ruin it (I don't gave the same money these days as I did when I had it built). I hang my TI under some shelves in the garage and would need any separate trailer to be light enough for me to lift. I think the weakest link I use in my pulleys is 210kg so trailer would need to be around 100kg max.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was thinking of hanging my TI in the garage. I am currently hanging my Revolution. If I don't hang my TI I would have to leave my car outside all winter, and we gets lots of snow.

Any pics of hanging TIs?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If I gave one on my phone I will try to work out how to post it

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can someone tell me if you can see those pictures please. First time I haven't tried this and I am not sure if the album they are in is locked or not.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks good!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I car-top as well as trailer - Trailering is MUCH easier (given you know how to drive with a trailer .. especially backing up !!).

I DO NOT put my trailer in the (salt) water .. I back up to about 3 feet away on the ramp and unload there. If I am by myself (most of the time) there is usually someone near by looking all bug-eyed at my "contraption" who will lend a hand. I've never had someone say "No ..", but there have been times I've done it alone. When I have help, I take the back and walk it into the water having them stop before they're about to get wet .. then I walk to the front and take over. If alone, I'll put as much as I can in the water, walk foward, and then drop the front and drag it about 3 feet until its boyant.

Similarly, if car-topping I'll back down until the rear tires of my truck are about 3 feet infront of the water .. unload etc.

I'm 52 .. in decent shape (could be better ..) and while I don't struggle with the AI, I think the additional size and weight of the TI would make it a struggle. I could not imagine car-topping the TI by myself

check craigslist or go to a local marina and look for a used jetSki trailer - they can usually be had for under $500 and are made for the water. You will need to extend the tongue though .. something any good trailer shop can help you with

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Frodo, did you buy the pullies and rope separate and build the pulley hanging system?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes mate. They are just some pulleys from a run of the mill hardware shop and some rope I had bought for scouts but had not used yet. I wouldnt recomend that set up though its a little hard to pull up atm. I hold it up with one hand on the rope while I rebalance the boat ( the end closer to where you pull comes up first). I need to add pullies for a 2:1 effect and a longer rope and cleat down low so i dont need to climb back up the ladder while trying to hold the boat up to tie it off. I would also like to have separate rope and pulley on the bow and stern that would take the boats weight so I could swing it 90 degree to put it on top off the car and take it off. I only did it that way due to not having enough roof space free to hang a block and tackle. My original idea was a block and tackle and make up a sling type bag out of a heavy tarp with some timber edges.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Frodo:
Your setup is very similar to the setup I have, I put a boat trailer winch on one end (I had it mounted at head height) . Instead of cranking the winch by hand I just used my cordless drill. Going up was a breeze, but going down was a (censored) (could get away from me easily). I also had mine up against the wall and lifted and hung the boat on its side , which worked out better for me space wise.
Bob

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Guys,
I have had my TI for almost 1 year - love it. :)
I car top for 2 reasons:
1. I tow a camper trailer and so I can't tow a second trailer.
2. I don't have room at home to store a second trailer.

To save room I hoist my TI to the ceiling of the garage roof.

As a few have said if both I didn't have either of these constraints then I would also put the TI (or AI for that matter) on a dedicated marine trailer.

There's also (at least) 3 reasons for that:
1. If you don't have a lifting solution, it is risky for you and the car.
2. When the TI is loaded on the car after being out in sea water (which is most of the time for me) there is a risk that the salt water and sand gets on the car. Even if you leave it to dry first - murphy says it will rain before you get home and hence the salt gets washed onto the car. As a result I'm going to the car wash after every time to thoroughly wash down the car and then spray a protective wax coating on it.
3. To ensure the car and TI are safe even in an emergency stop or swerve situation, the tie down needs to be done very carefully - which takes more time.

However, given I can't use a trailer I am very happy with my solution.
It is actually quite quick to get down from the roof.
I can put the TI onto the car and take it down completely solo - there is no manual lifting.
I don't have to disassemble the AMA's / AKAs and tie down / store them separately.
With the forward support pole, the dynamic forces of sudden breaking or road undulations with strong head winds are taken care of.

Here's a video that shows how I store the TI in the garage and subsequently get the "beast" onto my 4WD:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJgO0_V74NQ[/youtube]

Regards,
Ian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next