Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I did do a search but could not find an answer. Which would work better on rocky rivers installed on the Hobie Outback,the Torqeedo stern drive (like what you see on the PA's) or the rear mount evolve?(which is a torqeedo motor as well, right?) Is the rudder removed with the evolve rear mount? Looks that way on a video. Then I read the PA owners keeping the rudder with their torqeedo. I'm confused! Rudder or no rudder? Any feed back is greatly appreciated. (I know the Outback is not the best shallow water boat, but it will see some time in the ocean on the OBX, but mostly on the upper Potomac and Shenandoah rivers.)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A rear mount is best for rocky places ......... Actually ..... No engine is good four rocky places ... Especially an expensive 1. That said, the rear mount evolve is great for the outback and the Revo because it attaches to the twist and stow rudder ....... I'm not sure how it attaches.

Torqeedo is better for the PA because hobie does not make a rear mount for the PA. The rudder is not removed with the PA ..... You steer with both the rudder and the engine

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Maybe im mistaken but isnt the evolve made by torqueedo? :?:
(Such as a chevy silverado)

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fishwhisperer619:
You are correct the evolve (made by Hobie) has an evolve (403) motor and batteries and a custom propeller designed by Hobie (in order to fit into the mirage slot). I believe any service you would need on the unit would require the unit be sent to a torqeedo service center (if it's motor or electronics problems), whether you take it directly to torqeedo or thru Hobie, (then Hobie sends to torqeedo), may not be important.
I've been following the torqeedo and evolve line for quite a while now, and am very impressed with the system (wish I could afford one).
My opinion is when a kayak only has one mirage drive like the PA (my TI has two mirage drives), I think I would prefer not to lose my mirage drive if I owned a PA and would opt for the Torqeedo 403 system with the ball mount on the rear deck. The motor could be swung up and out of the way when not being used, and the existing rudder system would remain intact.

Actually even if I still owned a Revo (I have owned several) I would opt for the 403 torqeedo mounted on their ball mount over the torqeedo mounted on the twist and stow rudder, or in the mirage drive slot. With this setup (ball mount) you can tilt the motor up and out of the way when not using it. This way your rudder is not affected (I wouldn't want to drag that expensive motor in the water when I didn't need to) and you can use the rudder and mirage drive just like normal for normal operation. Typically the steering is tied to the standard rudder so both are used together to steer. In my opinion this would be the ideal setup on any of Hobies kayaks (including Islands and PA's), It's my opinion Hobie missed the mark by not offering this ball mounting option standard with their evolve system. I'm pretty sure I would never want the motor mounted to my twist and stow rudder regardless of Hobie kayak type. But that's all just my opinion.

Since I pedal 100% of the time regardless of what auxillary propulsion I have ( ie... sails, evolve, gas motors, etc), I could never live with the mirage drive mount option (especially on a boat with only one mirage drive). I consider the Mirage drive to be the primary propulsion for the boat, and would never use the boat without using mine 100% of the time.
BTW it is extremely difficult to kayak sail any of Hobies kayaks without the mirage drive installed (like trying to drive a car with no engine). We have been using Hobies kayaks since 2007 and have never taken any of them out onto the water ever without the kayak sail strapped to the side of the boat, then raised whenever there is any wind available.
All just my opinions.
Bob
Bob

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you guys for replying, I do appreciate the information.