Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

This question is related to my other post. Can someone please tell me the ideal position to put the Hobie Kayak Dolly under the AI when the Amas are folded back?

In relation to the rear cross bar for example.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I assumed they go under the rear xbar and strap over the akas. If I do that on mine, all the weight is on the amas and the hull is off the cradle by about an inch. I slid the cart back and forth, but could find a good fit. My AI is a 2008. Maybe the V2's are different?

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Colin,
What do you mean by an AI Hobie kayak dolly? :?
As far as I know the only dolly made by Hobie is for a TI and it will not fit the AI as the hull shape is different.
Edit -I've just downloaded the latest catalogue and it seems Hobie have indeed extended the dolly cart to cover AI's and other models. It looks like one cradle does both which is interesting as my TI cradles do not fit the AI hull.
I would be locating the dolly under the AI 's scupper tubes or a bit forward under the drivewell for a better balance point.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the replies guys.
I tried the 'TI/AI' dolly under my AI (V2), tonight and it does fit. It is pretty obvious that it is made for the TI, and that it's really just luck that you can park an AI on it.
It seems that the only real place you can spread the weight on the three hulls is pretty much right bang on the weight centre of the kayak, and from what I can tell there is not much room for error. Which may be a good thing. When you look at how the Amas sit.....well......you would not design it this way if you were making it for the AI.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One thing to try... When we load up AI's for fishing, we fold the ama forward and tie with light line the front of both ama through the bow padeye (they all line up). That puts more of the boats weight forward since we load most of our gear weight in the rear. When we don't do this, we don't have enough weight on the trailer tongue and it shimmies while being towed. Also with the ama folded forward, they do not drag on the ground at the rear.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Bob
I had a go at moving the amas forward. Unfortunately they are too far forward for the cradle to sit under the hull and amas properly.
One of the issues is that the AI Amas do not fold back, or forward, parallel to the hull, and from looking at the profile of the cradle on the dolly, I'm guessing that the TI Amas fold in parallel.

If I can figure out how to attach some photos I'll post some here. I must be a bit thick as I can't figure out how to do it from my iPad?
Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

FYI. Some photos of the TI/ AI dolly under the AI. As you can see, the angles are not quite right. Although this is more or less the weight center of the AI.

There's something I've not done right with the photos, so please let me know what it is.
Cheers

[imgImage][/img]

[img]url=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/colinm68/media/imagejpg1_zps2bd9103b.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b538/colinm68/imagejpg1_zps2bd9103b.jpg[/img][/url][/img]

[imgImage[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

On my AI- the cradle fit just under the AMA top grab handles. I believe you have them to far forward in these pictures. They should be in the same spot as they would be on the trailer/i.e. not at the center of gravity.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Vabeach2,

The AI rear cradle on my trailer is positioned as you mention below. However, the cradle on the beach dolly, is made for the TI, and for it to sit under the AI and support the amas and hull, I found that under the weight centre was the place where it should go. It makes moving the AI very easy as you are not supporting any weight when you move it around.