Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was out fishing in my Outback the other day...after I landed and was breaking it down for the trip home, I could not pull the drive out and noticed the main sprocket shaft that runs horizontally through the mirage drive frame had migrated forward about two inches and was preventing me from pulling the drive out the top.
upon closer inspection I found that the set screw housing was cracked (I have pics if anyone is interested)...I don't see any way for me to repair it as it's a part of the main housing/frame casting. I've never messed with this set screw so I'm a bit perplexed with this...anyone ever seen this type of failure? I've only had this boat for about 14 months...so I'd imagine it's covered by the two year warranty...right?

Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:47 am 
Site Admin

Yes, should be covered by warranty, but not normal to crack a set screw without excess tensioning. Maybe was cracked all along? Who knows. Could be impact on the spine while on the beach or rocks.

Contact a dealer to file a warranty claim for a new spine.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If it's cracked the way mine was there is an easy fix, maybe someone can provide the link to it but it involves drilling a hole through the front of that set screw hole to the back and using a stainless screw with a lock nut.

Your situation may be different as I don't know for sure without pics but if it's covered might as well replace it unless you need to be on the water right away.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had a similar problem but unfortunately mine was out of warranty. While I bought a new part I tried many adhesives to glue the old piece back together again before I got the new part. The only adhesive that seemed to work, and it worked very well, was Crazy Glue (or generic equivalent). I actually debated not changing the part when I got the new one but eventually did.

The shaft that holds the fins has a flat spot where the set screw is supposed to seat. It is difficult to know if the flat is in the right spot. I used a hacksaw to create a screwdriver slot in one end of the shaft that is parallel to the flat. Now I know if the shaft has spun if and when the set screw comes loose. I believe Hobie recommends putting blue Loctite on the set screw when inserting it. Do not make it too tight, you will split the housing!

I'm glad to hear Hobie will cover yours under warranty but I was surprised at how inexpensive the part was, like $25 or less, which is amazing when one considers a Turbo fin is about $20 without the mast.