Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone!

I've searched quite a bit for this subject and found no results, but am wondering desperately if this can be done.
Being a college student, I would like to save some $. I just recently bought a Hobie 16 & trailer (with everything and TONS of extras for $100!- Older gentlemen who wanted to pass the joys of sailing to someone younger). Took the boat out, and it sails wonderfully, however there is a large portion on the inner port side of the bow that is soft.

Having experience with building surfboards when I was younger, I have used epoxy from SurfSource, the SS2000 to be exact, and have had incredible success. Just wondering, can I use this since it is much cheaper than West Marine Epoxy? It looks to be the same, and am just wanting to keep my expenses very low knowing that the days are limited on this boat.

So what's your take? Surfsource 1/2 gallon is under $60, and 1.5 gal is $100. This is for a two-part kit, versus Spending an easy $150 for a west 1 gallon.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:46 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

1) You shouldn't need anywhere near a gallon.
2) Git-Rot is the gold standard for soft spot repair, not WEST Epoxy.
3) Being cheap gets cheap results.

Don't be this guy:
(That is my very good friend John Ellwood Mitchell, with my wife on the sailbox and his then wife Tina on the other hull - circa 1988 - when Ellwood went cheap on repairing his soft spots.)

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Why is Git-Rot the standard for Delam work over West System Epoxy?
Is it thinner, making it easier to inject?
Or just better designed, for the purpose?

79 H16 #46803

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:20 am 
Site Admin

It's designed for a similar purpose. The resin when cured needs to stay flexible too... Git Rot is the right viscosity and final bonding and flex. It works and is easy to work with.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:30 am 
Site Admin

Fyi... Here is the FAQ on delamination repair: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1156

Sailing FAQ: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=18

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank You, for clearing that up Matt M.,
When I fixed my delam problem on my boat, I used West system epoxy ( I did not know about Git-Rot ) it was old stuff that I wanted to use up that I already had. ( tested a small batch to see if it would still cure ) The things I found while using it were:

West system is a bit to thick, to be injecting into the hulls, felt like I was pumping it in, giving a pressurization effect, which in turn made it keep coming out the venting holes. cleaning up what oozed out was a constant issue, tape of any kind would not hold back the flow out. I used a calking gun with those empty calking gun cartrages that you can mix and fill with epoxy that you can purchase from west system. They work good if you have big areas, like I did.

When I was done, and it had fully cured, the delam areas in front of the pylons were as hard as rock.
In Hindsight Git-Rot would have worked better, being that it is thinner viscosity, stays flexible and would be a lot easier to work with. You would be able to inject it easier and it would probably flow, without pressurizing the hull.

79 H16 #46803