Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hobie 20 rigging
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fxloop wrote:
Is there a way to use the jam cleat on top of the boom whilst keeping the rotation bar in the stock location?

That is exactly what I did on my boat. I will try to describe as best as possible how I did it...

Use a large diameter line to secure a bullet block to the rotation grommet in the center of the tramp. The line has to be large enough so that you can tie a stopper knot (8-knot) in each end and it will not pull through the grommet (i.e., tie an 8 knot in one end, then feed the line up from under the tramp, pass the line through the becket in the bullet block, then feed the line back down through the grommet and tie an 8 knot in the other end).

Take a smaller line (1/8" to 3/16" diameter) and tie off to the end of the rotation bar. Route the line back to the pulley you tied to the center tramp grommet. Then route the line back to the rotation bar and feed it through the "hoop" in the end of the rotation bar. Continue routing the line forward to the center sheave at the mast base (the main halyard sheave). I believe we pulled the main halyard out of the sheave and stuffed it in the tramp pocket first. Then route the rotation line up the mast and feed behind the gooseneck fitting which is riveted to the mast (i.e. your rotation line will actually be fed into the sail track). Mount a micro block to the mast track slightly above the gooseneck fitting. Pass the rotation line out of the sail track and through this block and then lead the roation line back to the cleat on the top of the boom.

This is not the easiest system to rig because you have to unthread your main halyard line from the bottom sheave and you have to feed the rotation line inside the sail track. However I recall it worked just fine and it didn't require any additional holes to be drilled in the mast.

sm

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I will try that out srm thanks. That sounds clean, simple, and gets done what I was wanting done.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If anyone has any other pictures and descriptions of their rigging, post em here. Emma and I are the newest owner of Hobie 20 sail #680. I want to change how the mast rotator works and the jib halyard. I have some of my own ideas, but would prefer not to re-invent the wheel. Oh and how the heck do you post pictures here. Ryan

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, now having sailed the boat a few times, need some advice about tuning. What should mast rake be set at, and where on the adjusters for the shrouds should I be pinned at? The boat is very fast and fun to sail, lots to learn. Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How does one mesure mast rake on an H20? Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Typically, you take a trap line and some extra line tied to it, and take it up to the bow tang. Then hold/ make mark on the line and take it astern. As I understand it most of the DIV 3 guys are riding somewhere just above the top rudder gudgeon.

Tom

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Never heard of that technique to determine mast rake, must be a "Hobie" thing. Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I get that a lot... I think it's in one of the H20 manuals or write ups somewhere too.

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:06 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

rssailor wrote:
Never heard of that technique to determine mast rake, must be a "Hobie" thing. Ryan

Not a Hobie thing at all - it's the standard for all F18s and other catamarans that run tight rigs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will try it. Saw the same technique described in other tuning info. Thanks Guys. Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How far from the top of the cross bar to the top of the ball are people setting their dolphin strikers? Ryan