Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gear trac for Outback
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm getting a new Outback (sold my previous Outback). I plan to install Gear Tracs just forward of the rod holders. I intend to purchase the narrower tracs. The Gear Trac site lists 4", 8", 12", and 16". Does anyone know the longest tracs that will fit an Outback without any overhang? Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

we have the exact same question and wondering if anyone has mounted the PTSL90 thin gear trac on their outback in front and in the rear recess? We just ordered four 8" PTSL90s and are wondering if anyone has pics of their install on the outback of the thin profile geartrac?

We can always shorten them if need be.

Was told we did not need the backing plate for fishfinder/rod holder by the manufacturer.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have 8" Yak Attack narrow tracs on my Outback.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

kayakdannj wrote:
I have 8" Yak Attack narrow tracs on my Outback.
\

Any chance you'd be able to post a pic of the mounting locations?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

kayakdannj wrote:

Perfect. Thanks! Did you have any issue with your fish finder wires hitting the lines inside the hull? Looks fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the photos. They were great. Someday, I'll take the bull by the horns and ask my wife to show me how to post photos (she is good at that sort of thing). The 8 inch tracks on your Outback will most likely fit my needs (probably just a fish finder and a rod holder). However, being a "just in case" type of person, I went to my Hobie dealer and we looked and measured things over and he thought the 12 inch tracks would fit with no hangover. We decided the 16 inch tracks would not work. Do you have an opinion on this? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nope no problems. I used this wire nut/cover. Sea Choice makes it.

Also just used the same ones on my buddies PA12 for his FF.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ronrbaker wrote:
Thanks for the photos. They were great. Someday, I'll take the bull by the horns and ask my wife to show me how to post photos (she is good at that sort of thing). The 8 inch tracks on your Outback will most likely fit my needs (probably just a fish finder and a rod holder). However, being a "just in case" type of person, I went to my Hobie dealer and we looked and measured things over and he thought the 12 inch tracks would fit with no hangover. We decided the 16 inch tracks would not work. Do you have an opinion on this? Thanks

I can fit my FF and a rod holder on the same track and rarely so it, but it works. I would have no use for the 12" tracks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have my new Outback and installed the Gear Tracs. I went with the suggestion of KayakDanNJ and installed the 8 inch tracs. I did make an observation that may be valid. Prior to installation, I butted the two 8 inch tracs along the gunwale for an impression of how the 12 inch trac might fit. The 12 inch trac would have to run parallel to the gunwale. The impression I got was the rudder up/down control lines could fray rubbing against the trac nuts. Therefore, I mounted the tracs similar to the mounted trac photos provided by KayakDanNJ. I used 7/8 inch washers at the ends of the tracs because I did not like the tiny washers provided by Gear Trac.

While on the topic of Gear Tracs, I attended the kayak demo on June 1st in Salisbury, Maryland. The Hobie Rep had installed a wide 8 inch Gear Trac on his demo Outback. There was definitely overhang so the narrow tracs were best for me. As a side note, it seems odd the Hobie Parts Catalog only lists the wide tracs.

I did run into another issue after mounting the tracs. The thru hull transducer plug is situated in such a manner as 20 inches of transducer wiring is necessary to plug into a fish finder mounted on my gear trac. Therefore, I think I'll open a new topic on this issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ronrbaker wrote:
I have my new Outback and installed the Gear Tracs. I went with the suggestion of KayakDanNJ and installed the 8 inch tracs. I did make an observation that may be valid. Prior to installation, I butted the two 8 inch tracs along the gunwale for an impression of how the 12 inch trac might fit. The 12 inch trac would have to run parallel to the gunwale. The impression I got was the rudder up/down control lines could fray rubbing against the trac nuts. Therefore, I mounted the tracs similar to the mounted trac photos provided by KayakDanNJ. I used 7/8 inch washers at the ends of the tracs because I did not like the tiny washers provided by Gear Trac.

While on the topic of Gear Tracs, I attended the kayak demo on June 1st in Salisbury, Maryland. The Hobie Rep had installed a wide 8 inch Gear Trac on his demo Outback. There was definitely overhang so the narrow tracs were best for me. As a side note, it seems odd the Hobie Parts Catalog only lists the wide tracs.

I did run into another issue after mounting the tracs. The thru hull transducer plug is situated in such a manner as 20 inches of transducer wiring is necessary to plug into a fish finder mounted on my gear trac. Therefore, I think I'll open a new topic on this issue.

Interesting on the transducer. Where is your transducer mounted?