Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Wave Hull Dillema
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hello. i appreciate this forum and everyone input first off. my question is this. we recently purchased a hobie wave. great boat, love it, but i seem to be having difficulties. when sailing by myself or others, when the boat reaches speed, the opposing hull (opposite of wind i guess) seems to dive down under the water causing the boat to abruptly stop or capsize. with additional weight towards the bow, it only worsens this problem. i'm wondering if i have something setup incorrectly or not properly adjusted. i read somewhere that adjusting the angle of the mast may help this problem but i'm not sure. is there anyway to remedy this problem or is this just a limitation of the boat?
one other quick thing is i was wondering if larger sails could be used with this boat?

thanks a lot for everyoens help and for viewing this topic.

Post subject: Get back!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi jpk -

Sailors call that the "leeward" or "low" side of the boat, and the side toward the wind is called the "windward" or "high" side. It sounds like you need to get aft or back further into the high side corner. The straps across your trampoline are for "hiking out." Slip your feet and shins under that strap, scoot your butt all the way out off the edge of the windward hull, waaaaay back so that your practically sitting with your thigh under the steering crossbar. Now when you're accelerating, lean back, using the straps to keep you on the boat like you're doing a sit-up or ab crunches. This will help keep that leeward bow from digging in and ending the fun!

On the question of bigger sails, I'd recommend you get to a point where you're not capsizing before going bigger - the boat's already pretty powerful with the main it has. Going with a bigger sail will make it tougher to control and you'd be likely to flip more.

Keep pushing it!

John