Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Finally bought one for my PA14. But the power cable also has a data cable attached. So that is 3 cables now including the transducer cable. I don't need the data cable. Is there another power cable I can buy without the data cable? Or do people cut off the data cable. There aren't any 3-cable through hull adaptors in my extra parts kit, and I really don't want an extra cable I don't need.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

you have two options...

1. You can cut off the data cable and run in through the hobie through hull adapter along with the transducer cable

2. You can install another through hull transducer adapter

I personally am not a fan of cutting cables so I just installed another through hull adapter.

[img][IMG]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w259/mrosa23/P1020858_zps65cad8d1.jpg[/img][/img]

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would not cut off the cable...can you simply coil it up inside the hull and feed the two other cables through the cable hole and wiring fitting to your fish finder?

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the quick reply. But the power and data cable are joined together at the connector to the fishfinder. So it would be coiled up on the deck without running it through the hull. I'm gonna stop at West Marine to see if they have a different cables.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I cut mine 2" down from the plug and then coated the wire with Liquid Plastic. You can buy it at any sporting good or home improve store. Its plastic that dries for dipping tool handles in to re-coat them. Works perfect!
Michael
Portland, OR

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Curious. I have an elite 4 (non dsi) and there is a transducer cable combined with the power cable in the manner you described. This is separate from the optional (second) port on the back of the unit.

So dsi or hdi models have two transducer cables? I ask because I want to jump up to the elite5 next time.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just installed one on a PA 12 today. I added another wire port next to the standard one. Your local Hobie dealer should have one. This allows for power/data cable through one and transducer cable through the other. It is a 1"hole and looks fine.