Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I do not have said hobie in possession yet, however the owner is practically giving me it along with the trailer (which is all I really needed).

I assumed the hobie was in awful shape, however after speaking with him it sounds like it is fairly unused, however they managed to put a hole in one of the pontoons.

I am beginning to think I should put some money into repairing it rather than cannibalizing it. And try to turn it over for a profit, hopefully to a friend who can sail with me. I'm buying the said hobie with the trailer for 200.

Thoughts?

(p.s.- will post pictures asap)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

without pics, it is priceless.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have walked away from many boats for less than $200.......I have also walked away from free.

With that said. we need a whole lot more info. Boat type, year, hull inspection and sail inspection to start.

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Much depends on the condition of the sails, any soft-spots, etc. Are there all the parts there? boom, rudders, blocks? What is the year of the boat? Looks like $500 -1000, if there is no softspots and the sails are serviceable condition, and the trailer is highway worthy.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sails had one hole that's already been patched. It was maybe the size of a nickel. Everything looks in good condition except for one nick on a hull that isnt as wide as a dime. Lines will likely need replacing by the end of this season though

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also have this hobie that I would like to actually sell. Its missing quite a bit and isn't in great shape. But the mast and frame are actually in good condition so I was considering piecing it out. (We can refer to each hobie as red or yellow otherwise I may get confusedImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:24 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Just stuff that caught my eye:
Yellow one - dirty, faded yellow '82. Hull damage is cosmetic, unless there's a soft spot right there - then it's major repair time. Trampoline has been flipped over (why?) and laced with inappropriate line (3-strand). Sails are faded and look very soft. Aluminum shows signs of being left in the sun for a very, very long time (faded). Nothing on the sidebars for traction (trapeze probably never used).

Red one - tiller arms are bent the wrong direction (down) (why?). Boat looks painted - no red boat that old doesn't have faded gel coat. Otherwise, it's hard to tell. The aluminum parts are the most durable parts of the boat - "the bones" - and consequently, the most common. If the mast is straight, you can sell it locally - shipping is prohibitively expensive.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Right on I wouldn't have noticed some of those things. I was curious about grip tape for the yellow.
I'll have to look at flipping the tramp and would I have to get different rope you think?
I am going to get some 3m polish this week and some wax and work on the yellow. Also going to fix the chip in it just because I don't want that to get any worse. I also picked up some aluminum polish.
I'll have to take another look at the sails. Although I wouldn't be able to afford replacing them at the moment. If there was something I could do along the lines of strengthening them or just being cautious lemme know please! And yea I would probably try to go local on the reds mast because I don't even wanna think about the heart ache of shipping.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

when the tramps fade, people will flip them over. when I got my boat a year ago I thought about doing this, but bit the bullet and ordered a new OEM Mesh Tramp.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So its not necessarily bad that its flipped?

Ideally I would buy a new tramp, sails, and ropes and keep these ones as backups, God forbid anything happened.

But I am fresh out of college so I'm saving those things for my winter budget. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:06 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

marrarad wrote:
So its not necessarily bad that its flipped?

The downside to a flipped trampoline is there's no texture on that side = very slippery. No hiking straps, either.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yellow boat jib is also newer- the old jibs usually matched the mains. Red one appears to have lots of kinks in the wires and be a very old boat!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would look up how to relace the tramp, get a new main sheet and jib sheet if what you have is completely trash. Take a look at the hole and make sure it's not letting water in. if it is cosmetic the. Patch it(good luck matching the color tho). The sails look good enough if you are going out to have fun with friends, Or even if you are just begining to race. I would just keep an eye out on craigslist and eBay for newer sails and a newer tramp. Unless you want new then plan on spending some $$. You can find a nice used set of sails and a nice tramp for under $1000. Or like most of us with old boats you might just find another boat with these items but the hulls are completely rotted and get that for almost free like you did with the red boat. Good luck, And have fun with it!!!

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever