Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fish storage
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone have any advice on what cooler fits best on a PA12, and how to secure it

Post subject: Re: Fish storage
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a PrecisionPak YakCatch soft insulated kill bag on my PA14. I think mine is the 32" model. It will hold a couple of 20# chinook salmon or 3 nice lake trout. I keep it tucked beneath the shock cord on the rear deck, with the opening facing the back of the seat so I can turn around and just slide the fish in. It has a zippered slit in the top if you are catching smaller fish. I like this cooler because it has a low vertical profile and consequently does not catch any breeze (which spins your PA upwind), as most typical box-type coolers are prone to do. I stick a few bricks of re-usable artificial ice inside (about 12" squares x 1" thick) inside and it keeps my catch, drinks and bait cold all day long in the dead of summer. It also has a removable liner that Velcro's in place to prevent getting fish slime all over the inside of the cooler itself.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info. I have a pa12' and find that the paddle clip on the left rear side of the boat interferes with the storage area in the back . How do you store your paddle on the kayak?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In the southeast, most of the inshore fishermen use the Polar Bear Cooler. This softside cooler is the number #1 rated cooler in the southeast. If you are out fishing and spot someone with a Polar Bear, just ask them how they like it.... be prepared to be there for a while to listen to them telling you how great they are :!:

The 24 pack fits perfectly behind the seat of the Revo/Outback/PA. While they also make a 12 pack and 48 pack, the 24 seems to be the preference of the kayak fishermen. It will easily hold drinks/snacks/couple of reds. Most folks down here use fish condums (plastic bags) to put their fish in before putting in the cooler.

They aren't cheap but you get what you pay for :!:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

+1 for Polar Bear ........... if you can wait, they usually have a 50% sale just before Christmas ..... but they are worth every penny even if you can't await

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:47 am 
Hobie Team Member

Bayou Coast Kayak Fishing Club members worked with California Innovations to design this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Fisherma ... +tote+fish

Works very well. It's vertical orientation leaves a lot less sunshine beating down on it. It comes with two puncture resistant liners.

Love mine!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie has a soft cooler bag available that fits perfectly in the front hatch of the PA. I saw it at Sunjammers in PCB just the other day. Not sure on cost. Maybe Brad will see this post and reply for us.

Freedom Lures Prostaff~Lowrance Prostaff~Canyon Coolers Prostaff~Power-Pole Prostaff~Aftco Prostaff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a soft cooler I got at Wal-Mart for $9.00 and store in the front hatch with a bag of ice that I pick up at McDonalds for $1.25 and that lasts 2-3 trips out in the SWFL heat.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9RCZNrchbw

We converted the front tub into a cooler on ours. Works great in the hot Florida sun! After a good 6 hour trip last weekend I still had icy cold drink and food, still had plenty of ice left and could easily have kept the fish cold for considerably longer. Cheap and easy!