Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm looking at used 16's...maybe some of you have made the switch or own both boats, I would like your feedback.

I've had my 14T out a number of times this year, and I still enjoy the boat. It stays mast up at our local sailing club and I can get it into the water on my own, sail it, put it back on the trailer, etc.

It's a phenomenal boat that does everything a 14 should do.

I have probably done 90% of my sailing this year (as crew) on my friend's 16. I'm getting to the point where I would like to take friends sailing, race the other 5 or 6 16's in our group, etc.

Can a 16 be sailed solo in moderate air? Surely one person can't right a 16...how easy to use are righting poles and bags?

I am about 165 lbs...so I would need assistance righting a 16.

I guess I could just own both for a while, solo one, crew the other...but I also have a monohull, and a few other toys.

I already know that I enjoy both boats...I guess the real question is has anyone sold their 14 for a 16, and regretted it???

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I can only comment about soloing the H16 in that it is absolutely brilliant!
I've recording some recent solo sailing in a video I've shared here previously - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr_M5jue5rM
My only issue too is that I can't easily right on my own. I've tried a bucket but its not easy to use and just last week I added the Hawaiian righting system which will help me turn my capsized boat around so that I can use the wind to right solo. I'm yet to do this but know it can be done.

As you would know sailing with a mix of H16's and H14's the H14 sure get ahead in lighter winds but once the winds pickup the H16's really leave them for dead.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I went from Wave to 14 to 16. I still have the Wave.
16 is an awesome boat. I love mine!
Solo righting at 220lb is usually easy. But lighter guys just use a righting pole setup. Makes it quick and easy for the skinny folk! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a 16 and just sold my 14T. At 200 lbs the 14 just wasn't enough boat for me. The 16 is easy to solo but you need at least 220 lbs to right it. As far as righting systems, the bag is very cumbersome and the righting pole is really not a solo system (unless you are 220 lbs). The shroud extenders work well for solo righting but are not class legal. A mast bob will help with righting (and prevent turtling) but also not class legal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My buddy weighs about a buck fifty and rights his 16 with a pole no problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobiesrock wrote:
My buddy weighs about a buck fifty and rights his 16 with a pole no problem.
I don't know how many variations of righting poles exist but my buddy installed a "Power Pole" system on his 16 and neither one of us could solo right the boat. It was also a hassle to deploy and stow (compared to a righting line). He removed it. Buyer beware!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ours are just home made jobs simular to the one found on these forums.
viewtopic.php?t=44504

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

At 200# I was able to right my 80's H16 without much trouble at all using the standard really thick blue and white woven bungee righting line - I made sure to add about 3' of sturdy line at each end where it connects to each sides rudder pin, that allows enough slack to where you stretch it out really far around the back of your waist so you can get really low to the water line and start bouncing. If your mast is sealed it will pop right up with only one person :0)

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I own and sail both! The 16 can be a bit much solo when it blows hard, which was why I bought the turbo. All in all, the 16's a waaaay better boat, but the 14's still fun. I'm about 165, with wind and waves right, I can usually power right the 16 solo, and can always right the 14. I can rig both solo fairly easily. No way I'd sell either willingly- there's just too much fun left in 'em!

Dave