Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First full season with my mellow yellow 2012 TI.
Sailing on Moriches Bay Long Island.
The TI is just a fabulous kayak/sailboat/trimaran. Great for a 58 yr old former Hobie 16 racer.
The evolve motor really hums.

But...
Getting the Trax Kayak cart easily into the scupper holes is killing me.
I need to lift it and have my wife align or remove the cart.
There must be a better way.
I only have to move the TI 20-30 meters up an angle on the sand into a boat house.
Is the Kayak cart http://www.austinkayak.com/products/6463/Hobie-Tandem-Island-Kayak-Cart-with-Beach-Wheels.html the answer?
Can I leave the TI resting on the cart most of the time?
We had perfect winds on Sunday for bay sail:
https://plus.google.com/116438580937400937587/posts/PUrASBYRiwY
Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A dolly with cradle is the answer. We actually recommend that solution - that's why it's offered. You still can't leave it resting on this dolly (that will cause hull distortion and possible severe damage). Carts and dollies alike, are only for transport to and from the water, but luckily sliding the dolly out from under the boat is very easy (compared to turning the boat on it's side to remove a plug-in cart). Go for it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:04 am 
Site Admin

http://cdn.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/87367021-2014-summer-international-kayaking-parts-catalog.pdf

Page 15

Full size dollies for the Adventure / Tandem Island or Pro Angler / Universal includes a hull / ama cradle, and a pull handle. Much
stronger and easier to load and use than plug-in carts for larger, heavier models. Two different wheel styles allow for optimum
performance on hard pack surfaces – or soft sand beaches. Choose beach wheels for use over soft sand or other surfaces.
Choose the tuff tire if your launch surfaces are solid. The handle makes it easier to insert or remove the cart under the boat or pull along when un-loaded. The handle also acts as a “kick-stand” to keep the cradle upright during loading. The handle and wheels are easily removable for storage. The Pro Angler / Universal dolly will fit a wide variety of Hobie Kayaks including Pro Anglers, Outback and Oasis. Recommended maximum load equal to one Tandem Island without excess personal gear.

80046200 HOBIE DOLLY, AI/TI BEACH-TIRE

80046100 HOBIE DOLLY, AI/TI TUFF-TIRE

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is really a problem. For my Outback and the TI I am a proud owner of the Hobie Trax 2 Kayak Cart. As Hobie parts are rather expensive in Europe, I'm not able to ill afford the dolly.
Our first attempt to put the TI the cart under the TI ended up with a fully rigged TI tilter over on the beach. The huge balloon tires of the cart are very useful to transport the TO over sandy beaches, but prevent you from putting the cart under the TI in flat water.
There was a need for an invention.
My personal solution is to remove all mobile things from the boat and then to put my TI (and my Outback as well) on one side at 90°. I can do this alone, and my co-pilot or, if not vailable, myself plugs the cart in the scupper holes. If you do this on a sandy beach, no scratches will remain on the kayak, even if you leave the akas and amas installed.
Greetings from Germany
henry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

emsmag wrote:
But...
Getting the Trax Kayak cart easily into the scupper holes is killing me.
I need to lift it and have my wife align or remove the cart.
There must be a better way.

emsmag, trying to drop the TI onto the scupper cart is a recipe for disaster. Back problems or scupper damage for sure!
An easier way if possible is to fit the scupper cart while the TI is floating with ama still out, in knee deep water. Removing the wheels and refitting them when the cart frame is in and held in place by the keeper helps.
A dolly cart is a better way. If you get a couple of TI trailer cradles you could keep it stored on the dolly cart with extra support provided by the cradles mounted on blocks for/aft of the dolly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, folks.
I ordered the beach dolly - seems the best solution - though expensive.
Since I store my TI in a shared boat house - I can't put in a harken hoist/garage gator.
It has a sand fllor.
I have been storing my TI (w/out amas) on foam covered 5 gallon plastic pails.
Not great.
I want to transfer the TI from the beach dolly to a cradle. Based on what I've seen/read I am thinking that a pvc "saw horse" with foam covering built up to the same height as the TI cradle.
Hopefully I can slide the TI forward directly onto the cradle without too much lifting.
Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have you thought of using a couple of pvc pipes spaced to meet the fore and aft creases in the hull?
I hear this is a very good way to avoid distortion, and could easily be cleared away if not needed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't see why you have to remove the dolly? :?
As long as you have other supports for/aft, the dolly becomes just another cradle and helps with support. I suppose flat spots could develop on the tyres but that could be avoided by sitting the dolly on blocks under the axle. I'm picturing a set of ramped blocks which you wheel the TI up on until the wheels are not loaded. With a bit of a run up and a flat spot on the block at the right height it should work. Then place the trailer cradles fitted to blocks the same height as the dolly in front of and behind the dolly, evenly spaced to share the load.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I dont seee why it couldnt be left on the dolly.

The trailers they sell have the exact same cradles and they are driven miles on the road bouncing and having much more stress placed on the hull then simply sitting in storage. The trailers have 2 cradle supports and that is it. Therefore, supporting the other end of the yak opposite to the dolly should be enough.

Images of how the trailers are setup:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi!
Probably a big NO-NO, However, I'll confess and find out if anyone has had structural problems with this technique:
When I need to load the TI on the beach (Onto a Trax2 Scupper cart) I roll the main hull onto its' side ....Insert the cart, and carefully lift/roll it up. I realize the scupper is not designed for that lateral torque and try to keep the pressure to a minimum.
The question is.....Has anyone else been doing this and regretted it?
It's not hard doing it this way, even for an old guy!
Also wondering ....Is it really that easy to remove and install the cart (w/ beach wheels) in the water?...Never tried. It seems as though those big wheel would not be easy to submerge
Is that the reason there is the quick release hub on the beach wheels? ...Wondering about the hub's purpose since Trax does not offer a "Utility wheel" w/ that feature.
Thanks for any wisdom.
Don :D ..........Mango TI Mendocino CA
Ranger 29 SF Bay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've taken the TI out once and I had the same issue. Lifting the TI by myself and placing the scupper cart in place was very difficult. I was going to try to remove the amas and tilt the TI so I can get the cart in place. And then as the previous poster said, tilt the TI upright so it now rests on the wheels

the dolly isn't a good option for me because I want to take the cart with me, I don't have room for the dolly in my car and leaving the cart out at the launching site isn't a good idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Before getting our TI we had an oasis which is also a pretty large kayak (well much heavier and more awkward than our revo's were) so I got pretty used to car topping that for years. When we got the TI I honestly couldn't tell much difference. I had both the HD scupper cart and the trax cart with the big grey tires. To be honest I much prefer the HD cart (much easier to pull in everything except really soft sand). When car topping I typically pull the hull down from the car, flip the hull on its side, insert the scupper cart then roll the hull only down to the waters edge ( usually with the mirage drives, aka bars, and sail laying in the hull. I carry the AMA's down to the water separately. At the waters edge I flip the boat back on its side and remove the scupper cart. I then flip the boat back down install the AMA and aka bars and sail, I'm then ready to go. I just place the scupper cart into the rear scupper holes upside down ( sitting on an extra lifejacket so the scupper posts don't stick thru the bottom of the boat). When I come back I do the reverse, I pull the hull on shore (with no scupper cart under the boat) I then remove the sail AMA's and aka bars then flip the boat up on its side and insert the scupper cart. I then pile everything onto the hull and roll the kayak itself up to the car. I carry the AMA's back to the car separately. I've tried many time to pull the fully loaded TI with the AMA's installed but it is just too much for me. When down in key west we usually launch from Higgs beach and I have to roll over about 150 ft of soft sand, with the HD wheels I can pull the hull only, but have no chance whatsoever trying to pull the fully loaded boat with the AMA's mounted across that sand so I don't even try anymore. When we are at our key west place I'll take my TI out every day if I can. That means loading it on and off the car daily. Up here at our other place in sarasota we have a garage and I store the boat on the trailer, launching from my trailer is much faster and easier, I don't even bother with a scupper cart, and the boat remains fully rigged in the garage, it takes me all of 5 minutes to get it on or off the car and put away in the garage (after rinsing everything down in the front yard of course).
If it's any help that's the way I have been doing it weekly for quite a few years now, and have a blast every time I go out ( it never gets old with me, obviously I love my TI).
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
http://cdn.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/87367021-2014-summer-international-kayaking-parts-catalog.pdf

Page 15

Full size dollies for the Adventure / Tandem Island or Pro Angler / Universal includes a hull / ama cradle, and a pull handle. Much
stronger and easier to load and use than plug-in carts for larger, heavier models. Two different wheel styles allow for optimum
performance on hard pack surfaces – or soft sand beaches. Choose beach wheels for use over soft sand or other surfaces.
Choose the tuff tire if your launch surfaces are solid. The handle makes it easier to insert or remove the cart under the boat or pull along when un-loaded. The handle also acts as a “kick-stand” to keep the cradle upright during loading. The handle and wheels are easily removable for storage. The Pro Angler / Universal dolly will fit a wide variety of Hobie Kayaks including Pro Anglers, Outback and Oasis. Recommended maximum load equal to one Tandem Island without excess personal gear.

80046200 HOBIE DOLLY, AI/TI BEACH-TIRE

80046100 HOBIE DOLLY, AI/TI TUFF-TIRE

@mmiller
I have 3/4 of a mile of flat, paved road, (Florida) to get my 2017 AI to a concrete launch ramp.
Would the hard tires beach dolly be better than the soft tires?
Is the dolly disassembleable enough to carry on the kayak after launching?
Ie can I take off tires etc and “bungee down”
Manatees and gators are awaiting, along with snook, blue crabs and oysters
8)
I have a 1-3 ft drop off my concrete sea wall that would scrape the heck out of the AI and maybe break stuff, but I have to get in the water

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The foam-filled rubber tires work well on solid ground.

For the seawall, a temporary slide with some pvc rails could do it.