Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a 2012 PA 14 last week. Used this forum to build trailer, add seat rail to seat, fwd nav lights, two additional rod holders and some yak attack rails. Lowrance 4 HDI on the way. This forum is great, and very easy to search. Looking for people to go fishing with, St Johns River (SJR), or Mosquito lagoon/Indian River. (ML), (IRL). Or any other place in the area.

Walter

Walter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You said you added nav lights to the front. Are you talking about the red/green lights like on a boat. If so, you don't want them on your kayak. Other boats will think you can navigate your boat under power and might run over you. You might wish to change the colors to plain white.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is from the FWC website.
Unpowered vessels are sailboats or vessels that are paddled, poled, or rowed.

If less than 65.6 feet long, these vessels must exhibit the lights as shown in figure 2. The required lights are:

•Red and green sidelights visible from at least two miles away—or if less than 39.4 feet long, at least one mile away.
•A sternlight visible from at least two miles away.

Figure 2. Navigation lights on unpowered vessels less than 65.6 feet long

If less than 23.0 feet long, these vessels should:

If practical, exhibit the same lights as required for unpowered vessels less than 65.6 feet in length.
•If not practical, have on hand at least one lantern or flashlight shining a white light as in figure 3, to be displayed in time to avoid a collision.

I still need to add a stern/anchor light. Thinking about the Yak Attack Visipole.

Walter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

IF PRACTICAL Again..... other boats are going to think you have the ability to power your boat/kayak. IMO Not Practical. Do what you wish but......

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Islandspeed,
thx for the info. At least it made me verify the rules. At night I want to be lit up for all to see.
Hows the fishin down southwest?

Walter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

difference being lit for all to see and navigation lights. I have had to blow my air horn many times at night to get a boaters attention because I have a motor on my ultimate volt and nav lights are required. You may change you mind after being out and having a close call or 2. Up here they run over yakers in broad daylight.
http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2010/ ... eorge.html
http://www.kayakfishmag.com/news/convic ... rs-appeal/

I have seen some put a spot light inside the yak to light it up like a pumpkin ;)
be safe.

super nova lights are great as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Talk to one of the park rangers near Titusville, FL. They said they prefer both, red/green nav lights and the spotlight, or just a good flashlight, just in case. Kayaks aren't aloud out at night in the Mosquito lagoon area anyways. But the lights are great for the predawn launch.

Walter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You will also find that wildlife officers will interpret the laws differently. Had a yak friend get written up for no red/green, 360 white. he just paid the fine. I would have gone to court - there is a 7 meters / 7 knots law that is generally followed. Anything under 21 ft with a top speed less than 7 knots needs no "running lights". BTW, little trick I've learned with water search and rescue.. those little chem lights... tie about 2 ft of line through the loop on the chem stick and holding the other end of the line, spin it in a circle (not over your head unless signaling a helo). Instead of waving this little idiot 6 inch glow stick, you get about a 4 ft circle of light. Point your "spinning" hand toward the direction you want to be seen from.