Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The gang from Kanata SC (my old SC) sailed the 5 miles down river on a venerable 1981 H18 to Nepean SC, in preparation for this weekend's Ottawa Cat & Skiff Regatta. They were complaining that the sail kept falling off the hook, especially on a Starboard tack.

This is an old and 'well used' H18, and the one on which I learned how to sail 18's, so it is not in perfect condition.
I tried bending the hook to a more central position.
I suggested they tighten the downhaul, and tighten up the mast rotator line to prevent the mast from rotating.
They had tried this, and it helped, but not enough.
So I suggested that they tighten the Starboard diamond wire (which was loose compared with port).

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:49 pm 
Site Admin

Either the hook is bent from vertical making the hook less effective or the rope is catching in the hook and not the ring. Using too large a diameter line or a large knot can be problematic. Nothing else makes sense. This doesn't happen.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought their knot was a bit strange.... we can check when we rig on Saturday a.m.

Thanks Matt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Comptip mast or non-comptip?

The best ring is the one from Hobie with the little hoop on top for tieing off the halyard with an overhand knot. The rings where the halyard ties directly to the large ring can cause the sail to hop off the hook. Yank hard on the downhaul and mainsheet after rigging on the beach to verify the hook is engaged, then keep the downhaul snug while sailing so the sail doesn't hop off the hook. If the ring is properly engaged, mast rotation and diamond wire tension should not be a factor.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

John,

Can you take a picture of the ring and the hook? I think this will shed some light on the problem. You can also send the picture to me via e-mail and I will be happy to post it for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes. a pic would help.

Mine is like in the hobie manual picture.

Sail, twist shackle, ring, small shackle with the halyard attached to this shackle. No problem with this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:59 am 
Site Admin

This might help too:

Quote:
Locking the Hobie 17/18/20/21 Halyard:

It is best to simulate the halyard locking with the mast down so you clearly understand the system.

Then, depending on how old the boat is, be sure the hook does not have the old "flopper" stainless piece hanging on the hook. This old device caused difficulty in raising and hooking but would make it easier to release and lower.

Also, be sure that the knot tied to the ring is very low profile. A long bowline knot will hit the mast head before the ring gets to the hook.

If the ring has a small loop at the top... The line should be passed through the loop and a small knot tied. The knot (when ring and shackle are affixed to the sail) should be facing the mast. This tilts the ring closer to the mast.

Then (before attaching halyard shackle to the sail) spin the halyard 3 or 4 times clockwise (looking down on the shackle). This "pre-loads" the halyard line and causes the ring to swing back towards the hook. Keep the boat into the wind and hoist. Should lock easily.

To release... fully release the downhaul and outhaul. Partially feed the sail up the luff track. Hoist with the halyard to the top till it stops, hold... rotate the aft of the mast base to starboard, hold the mast rotated, ease the halyard a few feet before releasing the mast. Lower the sail.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)