Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water in the mast
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I managed to turn my TI upside down. Now I have a lot of water in the mast. How do I get rid of the water?

Post subject: Re: Water in the mast
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a hand siphon pump but it still leaves a little water in there which i doubt hurts anything but still bothers me. I flush it out after every trip with fresh water than siphon as much out as i can. It probably evaporates in a few days anyhow after that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In the mast itself? Maybe release the sail pull-down cleat, remove and dismantle the mast?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So there is a way to open/dismantle the mast? How could I otherwise use a pump?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Whoops....didnt realize you meant the sail mast so my theory wont work.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie Crafte wrote:
So there is a way to open/dismantle the mast? How could I otherwise use a pump?
The top and bottom of the mast are a simply push fit. As Kayakingbob said, undo the downhaul from its cleat, and you can slide the bottom half of the mast out. However, it is probably better to do this with the sail unwound from the mast, and lying flat on the ground. As you pull the bottom half of the mast out, water should escape from the join. Leave things apart for a while so everything dries out.

When reinserting the bottom half of the mast, make sure you put it in the same position in relation to the cleat, otherwise you will finish up with some unwanted twist in the sail.

BTW, would you mind sharing the circumstances which resulted in your turning your TI upside down? We can all hopefully learn from your experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, I was out in really rough water to test the boat. Waves in lake Mälaren have a pretty short wave length which may make a turn around more likely. I was going with the wind but probably about 30 degrees to the starboard. Winds were probably only 7-9 m/s but the waves were high. Before the boat turned around it felt like the boat was floaded. There were lots of water on both sides, but the boat felt completely stable. But then it lay itself on it's side, in a not very dramatic way. Half a second later it turned yet another 90 degrees, that is upside down.

I didn't have any trampoline or haka bench. I had fairly much stuff in the boat, but not much on it. I weigh only 70 kg. I sat in the rear seat. The sail was half furled.

I might have to correct myself. I had a trampoline stretched over the front seat. It might have caught some wind. But remember that I sailed with the wind. The trampoline could also have caught a little power from the waves but hardly much.

I'd rather believe the problem was that the wave lenght was the same as the distance between the amas, so one ama was on one wave and the other ama on another wave. I can't explain it well yet, however.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If a hull gets swamped because a hatch cover is left open or ajar, it is easy to capsize an AI (& TI). Then, if you are using a tramp, it is pretty easy to turtle if the winds are up.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon