Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tether for Wave? Or not?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, just took my new Wave for her maiden voyage today! I'm very excited and loving the performance. Super happy with my purchase.

One question: I realized that with the mainsheet cleated the Wave will self-steer. THIS COULD BE A PROBLEM IF I FELL IN THE WATER AND THE BOAT KEPT GOING. Not that I plan to fall in, but these things happen...

What do you other Wave sailers do to deal with this potential challenge? I'm considering attaching a quick-release tether to my PFD. Have other folks tried this? If so, how long a line do you use and where do you attach this to the Wave?

Or is this just a bad idea. Being dragged thru the water, etc.

Thoughts please.

Thanks!

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tethering seems dangerous to me. Instead, try raking your mast aft a notch at a time until you feel a slight pull on the tiller towards you. This way your boat will round up into the wind and stop if you let go of the tiller.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is one option to consider.

I only cleat when in the most casual of sailing conditions for the reason you have discovered as well. Of course this can be tiring in long runs in big winds but I prefer to have control. This year, I upgraded to a ratcheting block. I wasn't sure how much difference it would make but it did remove a lot of fatigue and thus it allows me to stay uncleated longer in bigger winds without tiring.

If you are interested, here is the one I purchased. It also comes in a 'kit' with a replacement lower, fiddle block. I went with the upper, ratcheting block only as I didn't think there would be as much 'improvement per dollar' with the lower replacement. It's working well with the stock fiddle and line.
http://www.harken.com/productdetail.aspx?sku=HSB411

As a kid in dinghies, I also trained myself to not let go of the mainsheet if the boat takes a tumble. Human nature is to let go of the sheet for some reason, but with some practice, you can keep hold of it more than not.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Point to ponder for a newer sailor: The wave can round up but will most likely tip over without you on it. When it does, it has that freaking mast bob on it, which keeps the damn thing from going turtle, and then, the boat is pretty much just as fast on its side once the wind hits the tramp as it is floating on both hulls upright. It will slide across the water faster than you can swim. My point: Maybe a tether isn't the worst idea in the world if you're out alone, with out support boats anywhere near. The little bastard can get moving pretty fast....trust me, I know. Without the jetskier picking me up and heading the boat off, it would have gone clear across Clear Lake.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Alan, I just got my Wave a month ago and my 4th time on the lake I finally got a pretty windy day to get some speed on the boat. Long story short, after I got one hull flying higher than I was comfortable, I turned the tiller the wrong way trying bring it back down. My rookie mistake turned the boat on it's side and I went for a swim. I was surprised how hard I needed to swim to catch the boat and luckily I got hold of the rudder.
I've been thinking of a tether as well, but I thought it may too easily get tangled with the sheet as I tack back and forth (maybe it would work- i don't know I'm just a rookie). In my case, I think I will actually practice capsizing the Wave on purpose to train my reaction so that I hold the sheet line as I go in the water.
It was very easy to right the boat after I unhooked the sail from the sheet and pulled back on the righting line. In total, I think it was less then 3 minutes before I was back sailing again.
Love this boat, I just wish I lived on the ocean instead of a small lake so I would have more consistent wind.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I reckon a tether is dangerous. So many ways you could end up drowning. If you're in conditions where you could come off the boat, don't cleat!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Michael Phelps couldn't keep up if tethered to a capsized cat.

Quote:
I only cleat when in the most casual of sailing conditions for the reason you have discovered as well. Of course this can be tiring in long runs in big winds but I prefer to have control. This year, I upgraded to a ratcheting block. I wasn't sure how much difference it would make but it did remove a lot of fatigue and thus it allows me to stay uncleated longer in bigger winds without tiring.
Good option!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When I sail in high winds condition, I pull 20 meters of floating rope behind me (orange colour). Just in case I can't catch the capsized boat. The rope does not make a significant drag to compromise your speed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great thread with great options and comments about tethering and hand-holding mainsheets. Just chiming in with experiences at Lake Mead, Nevada, probably one of the puffiest lakes (besides Clear Lake, Iowa) I've seen anywhere. Also, passing on some hints from those champions I've spent time with in clinics.

Firstly, this sailor has gone to the Wave as the only cat he'll sail recreationally and race in the foreseeable future. The last 4 months of sailing several times a week here at Lake Mead has made it clear that the Wave can handle all sailable conditions, until the winds get over 30 and then, as gusts are often 15 over the prevailing wind of the day, it is time to get back to the slip. Having been caught in 50 kt breezes, capsizing, dismasting and floating to a lee shore, rerigging and sailing back once, can say that the boat is far easier to deal with in breeze than any other. Have watched the bigger cats stay at the beach because too much wind, while the Wave is out tearing it up. All being said, she does want to run away if you fall off her.

As always a good PFD and wet suit/spray top over in cool air is first.

To paraphrase a quote by Aussie Gavin Colby (2 time H16 World Champion) - 'I only cleat if I want to pitch my boat'.

Learning to hand hold without cleating is essential to becoming a better and safe sailor or racer. Cleating, then uncleating before releasing takes too long to catch that 'Poltergust' before it knocks you over. Have been hand holding since 2005, and can say the added benefit is you get some great guns in the biceps. If you race, hand holding the main sheet gives you superior ability to adjust the mainsail as you can feel varying pressure on the course. Another quote from Gavin chastising those who cleat was the question ' and are you a warm shower taker?' You know, surfers and catsailors are always taking cold showers at the beach.

On the other side of the coin, I believe tethering on a Wave is also the way to go and I do it, especially in heavy air, cool conditions. Not only do you not loose the boat to rocky shoals, but you slow it down considerably, nearly to a stop. It is considerably different than the fiberglass cats. It sails much like a 14 and weighs about the same, but has less sail area with 9 square meters. I tie my 20 ft righting line around my waist.

Next, keep close eye on standing rigging for any sign of wear and if so, replace before you sail again. Also, pins and ringy dingies in particular must be taped or covered with a boot, as sailing gear can rip them out and dismast you (even breaking the mast). Standing rigging should be snug enough that the mast cannot jump off the step! That happened to me and it was disconcerting, to say the least (first day out in breeze on a Wave).

The Wave is difficult to capsize if you rake the mast with the 10 hole chainplate (in 10-15k flat water it took me 4 tries to get it to pitch). This is true of other cats as well. The mast's weight is born aft and helps prevent pitching forward. The Wave also sails better with the sailpower focused more aft on the skegs and rudders. The rudders start to act more like daggerboards during a tack as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

By the way, forgot to say I'd never tether on any of the other catamarans. It would be dangerous! Tangling in trapeze, harness and multiple sheeting systems, etc., etc. Very bad idea there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very insightful.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well thank you, that is a very flattering comment, coming from your highness.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What about a tether that deployed some sort of sea anchor with a quick disconnect?

(I once spent the night in the East China Sea ... 5 hrs 5 ft seas, without a pfd, after being separated from my submarine...it seriously sucked)