Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Prepping for the first outing, I remembered that my wife had issue with the seat pegs coming out of the holes regularly on the new-to-us 2007 AI LadyJane. On my other 2007, the previous owner somehow permanently attached the seat - I never investigated how because its in there solid so I was operating under "If it isn't broke .. dont "F" with it"

Can someone tell me the best way to secure the seat ? She really enjoyed our outing last fall except for the seat constantly coming "un-done" - that was her only complaint and I want her to pick up where we left off .. Lovin' the Adventure

Thanks

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think I replaced my originals with these http://www.austinkayak.com/products/2293/Hobie-Seat-Peg-Kit.html?k=seat%20pegs

There are also newer ones, twist peg, which are supposed to be better. I've never used them. http://www.austinkayak.com/products/14711/Hobie-Twist-Lock-Seat-Adapter-Kit.html?k=seat%20peg

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

there are 3 styles of seat pegs. all pictured here in Hobie's catalog.
The oldest style 81265001 is peg that may expand a little from the screw in it, but is one piece. The 2008 boat I bought had very weathered seat because these plugs were never removed to remove the seat, and it got too much sun. Once i did remove them, they did not stay in all that well.
The next style 81265101 was the one Chekika has, which a diagonal split in them. They were an improvement, but I sometimes had problems getting these tight enough, and it worried me to try, for fear of splitting the plastic of the seat hole.
The newest style (multiple parts) has a threaded hole in the plastic of the boat, into which a receiver screws, Then the twist pegs insert into the receiver, and are twisted like a key to lock them in. They are quite secure, but make it easy to take the seat in and out (unless they jam up with sand or something, which some owners have reported).
I adapted both my boats (an '08 with V1 pegs, a '10 with V2 pegs) to the V3 pegs, and really like them,
Hobie sells but apparently does not advertise a kit for the conversion (part 81276203). In addition a pair of the twist loc pins for the seat and a pair of receivers, it has a PVC slip plug fitting (3/4") which they recommend gluing onto the nipple of the seat peg hole inside the boat with included fast-set epoxy before tapping threads into the peg hole from outside (to prevent splitting the plastic with the tap, I expect). I did not put on the pvc's, and tapped the hole with a modified 3/4" bolt as shown in this post by Stringy. http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=40645&hilit=SEAT+PEGS&start=15#p187100. Doing this, to minimize splitting pressure, I reversed, screwed completely out, and cleared shavings very often, and have had no splitting issues. (It might be easier with a real tap, but aside from the cost the taps I could get do not have bottoms as square as the home made bolt one, thus increased danger of the receiver splitting the hole as you thread it into the bottom of the tapering hole they leave). I did not glue them in, they show no sign of coming out in normal use, and if the pins do jam I would like them to be able to screw out under more pressure. I also ordered extra receivers (81275001)for the second set of holes, even though I only use one set of holes, just so the boats would be more like the newer stock.
I am very happy with the new seat pegs.

Last edited by beebrain on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have 4 of the V2 split pegs (plastic with brass screw in the center and heavy SS split rings), if anyone wants to make an offer on them. They are in southern California. They listed at $10.99 a pair in the 2013 catalog.

I also have the homemade (from a bolt) 3/4 tap I used in the V3 twist loc conversion, if you want to borrow it, just pay postage and promise to return it (and then DO return it). Get all the other parts you need first.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the replies - I'll have a better look at it this weekend and decide a corse of action

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV