Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Aloha,

Here is the alternative that I came up with that serves my needs best. I like the full size platform because it affords the greatest utility for all my activities especially diving.
Simple in design just 1x12s and 2x2s. Total weight is 30 extra pounds ....a bit much but worth it to me.
They have been in use for 4 months now and are holding up well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:
carsautotech wrote:
My version of the alternative to tramps. Dry Weight ,7lbs a side and weight capacity of 600 lbs per haka.

What are they made of?

They are constructed of all aluminum panels that are riveted to 1 x1 aluminum squre tubing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

Just got a ti and will be looking at adding haka's in the very near future. I just wanted some feedback on an idea I had if anyone can help? I work for an aluminium window extrusion company and I can get hold of some profiles for free. I was essentially thinking of getting a window outerframe made at 400mm wide by 1800mm long with a transom at 900mm. One half of the outer frame would have an opening ventframe fitted and would be hinged (obviously no glass or beads are fitted!). Topped with marine ply and then laid on its side it would, when the window opened, become a lounger with a reclining back! The aluminium profiles are extremely strong and light and the total haka would weigh around 7kg each. Any feedback appreciated!

Regards,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's all here in this thread Concretedan. If you look a few pages back at Stringys hakas, he's done aluminium extrusion. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has infilled the aluminium outer frame with glass. Now there is a novel idea. :roll:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter:
Hey that might be a good idea, if you were to sandwich a sheet of polycarbonate in between two fishing nets with big 3/4 or 1 inch holes, with the nets sewn together all around the border of the plexiglass. Like a glass bottom boat, 3/32" or 1/8" plexiglass would be more than strong enough to walk and sit on, and wouldn't sag like a standard tramp would. There are of course different kinds of clear sheeting, I'm thinking of the one that is pretty flexible. Of course the fishing net material is what is bearing the vertical load. Kind of a combo HAKA tramp thing
Just an idea, I'm not sayin it's a good one
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie Tandem Island Sailing to Redfish Island: http://youtu.be/Ccq2J_jZrIw

Here is a test trial with the hakas. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan, in rough conditions, and higher wind I would recommend a "Ventilated" solution that will not catch the wind and waves. Ply or plex would act more like a sail. :o

Keeping the weight under 15lb each, if you can, will be an advantage for you.

Making a pair that could fit both an AI or TI is another nice feature, if you are going through all that trouble and expense.

That's my basic advice. But have fun with it. Go crazy. We're breaking all the rules anyway,..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I found these Spine Boards from China that work out to be a bit over $150.00AU each (for two) delivered to Australia. Heaps cheaper than anything locally and almost the price our friends in the US can get them for.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DW-PE005 ... 47083.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DW-PE001 ... 47209.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

John_h wrote:
I found these Spine Boards from China that work out to be a bit over $150.00AU each (for two) delivered to Australia. Heaps cheaper than anything locally and almost the price our friends in the US can get them for.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DW-PE005 ... 47083.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DW-PE001 ... 47209.html

John,
From personal experience I strongly suggest you get the type that has the metal pins (in the hand-holds) as they are better suited to the use of bungee chords - I bought the wrong boards because I was overly concerned about price and weight! :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good find John! Shipping from US was an absolute killer!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

John,
[quote][/quote]From personal experience I strongly suggest you get the type that has the metal pins (in the hand-holds) as they are better suited to the use of bungee chords -

Proyak, I'm wondering what you mean about the metal pins.
I'm seeing a spine board for $47 and some for much more....Is that the difference?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ranger29 wrote:
John,
Quote:
From personal experience I strongly suggest you get the type that has the metal pins (in the hand-holds) as they are better suited to the use of bungee chords -

Proyak, I'm wondering what you mean about the metal pins.
I'm seeing a spine board for $47 and some for much more....Is that the difference?

This is the one you want - specify "WITH PINS" - have a close look at their photo!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DW-PE001-PE-Spine-board-medical-stretcher/1144647209.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Proyak, I am having trouble seeing the pins. Where are they located?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:
Proyak, I am having trouble seeing the pins. Where are they located?

If you enlarge/magnify their photo you will see them in the hand-hold openings...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/DW-PE001-PE-Spine-board-medical-stretcher/1144647209.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought a set of backboards to try. Perfect size and shape. My only complaint to date is compared to my wood haka, they are very slippery, top and bottom. Looking for some non-abrasive no-skid to keep my but where I put it. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 88  Next