Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 16 Refurbishing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all!

I am a soon to be new owner of a used Hobe Cat 16! But she needs some tuning up. New trampoline, bunjies, ropes, rigging and possibly a new pullie at the top of the mast. I was hoping that one of you would be able to give me a ball park estimate of what the costs I'll be looking at to refurbish it, and if at all possible, point me in the right direction of where I can find all the parts for reasonable prices?

Thank you for any future help!

-B1gr3d16

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The best bet for used parts is eBay. When you start shopping you will see that for most of the parts there are about 4 guys on eBay that sell most of the stuff. Craigslist has some stuff but before you know it you will have 3 parts boats in the front yard and still not have all the parts you wanted. Also order a hobie catalog or view it online so you can see all the parts and part numbers. We always order from murrys sailing. They have a website and a lot of hobie parts.
As far as you tramp you should stick with a hobie brand. Not a cheep repop. You will regret the other brands. There is a used teal mesh tramp on ebay now as well. Good luck

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Order the Hobie catalog here on this website. It comes quickly, and with a full price list. I have found that most of the parts on ebay are not that much a savings from new for the parts that are commonly needed.

Also, never buy used parts for the parts that wear, as they typically have little life left. Used shrowds, used rudder cams, etc, are really never a smart buy for safety reasons. You want new there.

Elkyjason, not challenging your experience, but I have read quite a few positive comments about the ebay trampolines on this forum. It won't be class legal, but if the boat is more than 10 years old you probably won't be racing in a hobie sanctioned event anyway, and they will probably give you an exemption if you are a noob on a very old boat.

I did the same thing you are doing about 3 years ago, although I had most everything I needed in mostly working order when I got the boat. I am in a freshwater area, and haven't heeded my own advice to replace the shrowds, although I don't have coated wires, and I inspect them often. I did replace many of the lines and sheets (ropes) with Home Depot rope, and it worked to get me on the water. This summer it is clear that they all need to be replaced again, and I am getting the good stuff from my local Hobie dealer. I replaced the rudder cams, and on this boat it made a world of difference. I completely disassembled and cleaned the rudder system, and shimmed it all up to make it work really nicely. I just bought new sails, but probably didn't really need to, but I really liked the colors. I am just about to replace the tramp, and will probably get one from ebay.

My advice would be to do what you can to quickly and inexpensively get it on the water, and start enjoying it (within safety limits). Either read EVERYTHING you can on here about sailing, and RIGHTING your boat, or hook up with some other sailors locally for the first few times out, even take one out with you if you are just learning everything. Quickly you will be hooked, and gain knowledge and confidence. Over time, you will learn where the money is best spent on improvements.

Welcome to the forum! Go sailing!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you to you both!

This will be a huge help! I am looking forward to learning the sailing ways!

Thank you again!!

-B1gr3d16

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Consider both eBay and Craigslist, and try to stay patient.

I got in deep with an older H16 about two years ago. It was a wreck that I rescued out of a weedy and overgrown field for $20. Needed a ton of work but got just about everything used and at a substantial savings off eBay and Craigslist. Even got a second boat for cheap another $20 to pilfer parts from. Wound up with a decent boat with no soft spots and after buying/selling parts, total out of pocket was barely $100 for my H16. Not something that will be competitive to race but a ton of fun with the kiddos on a windy day.

Good luck!