Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This thing is like new other than the tramp. I need to replace that. But I have a couple of issues that I need resolved.
1) there are no pins in the rudders.
2) The mast base is broken where the pin goes in. I see that I can get one almost anywhere. But is it the same for this old of a boat?

Please excuse the verbage as I am not a Sailer "Yet" but will be soon.

3) the Forestay wires (the ones with the handles) do not have any type of clevis to connect them.

Please understand I am new to this!

Dewey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After a crash course last night on the internet, I have found out that I have a turbo! What a bonus. I just really need to know what I need to get to attach the forestay to the front of the pontoons? The parts breakdown I got is not real clear. Also, who has a source for some cool looking replacement hull stickers? I am sure that now days some have been made!

Dewey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1) Rudder pins, you can get from any Hobie dealer or Murrays or you can make your own easily from 3/8" diameter round bar if you have a hack saw, center punch, and drill.

2) The mast base has "evolved" over the years to allow more mast rake. You can replace it with a new one, but you may also need to replace the mast step so that they mate properly. On the 14, you don't actually need to use a mast step link. You can either raise the mast on the ground, pick it up, and drop it into the mast step, or if you have a second helper, you can use a "human link".

3) Sounds like you figured this out already, but the forestay does not have handles. The wires with handles are your trapeze wires. The forestay should be connected to the bridle wires using a 10-hole adjuster and clevis pin. The bridle wires should be connected to the bow tangs with D-shackles.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome to the Hobie world! On a boat that old, the bridle wires attach to the bows using loops which were screwed to the foredeck using 4 screws. I think that is now an obsolete part. If they're missing, I guess the fix would be to drill the bows and install a tang and bolt like the later models. Matt could probably answer whether that would work or not! Also, on a turbo, the bridle wires actually attach to the jib furler, and the forestay wire's built into the jib.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The forestay on your Turbo is sewn in to the jib sail (the smaller sail)...the bottom loop on your jib sail attaches to your furler.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

BTW, I have a new old stock H14 turbo factory mesh trampoline in hobie blue (no longer made). It has the heat welded seams and heavy duty grommets.

Brand new in factory packaging and never installed. I would definitely save someone some money vs a new one if you are interested.

Also, if you are missing any parts, I have enough parts in my garage to build another boat, let me know what you need.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry to revitalize this old thread...
I am looking into getting a Hobie. I am looking at the 14 and the 16. I presently have a sunfish and am "too big" for it. If I was racing I understand that but I am not and love to get in it and sail around and have fun. I read all over that the Hobie 14 is not for big guys (I am 235) and that I should go with the 16. I was trying to speak to folks that use them and see what there thoughts were. I have two small kids and I have taken them both out in the sunfish as well as having taken my wife and I. So if a sunfish can be way overloaded and still be fun can a Hobie 14 do the same? I have sailed Wave's at resorts with the wife and I and solo. Never flew a hull more than 1 or 2 iches above water and I was still always having a blast. So will the 14 work for me or is the 16 my only real option?

To the OP how has your Hobie been this summer? Lots of beach and fun?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

lax71vcu wrote:
Sorry to revitalize this old thread...
I am looking into getting a Hobie. I am looking at the 14 and the 16. I presently have a sunfish and am "too big" for it. If I was racing I understand that but I am not and love to get in it and sail around and have fun. I read all over that the Hobie 14 is not for big guys (I am 235) and that I should go with the 16.

You alone @235 are too heavy for the 14. Don't even think about carrying extra weight on it. When flying a hull, the lee hull on mine is buried under only 200 lbs.

The 16 is not the only option, although it probably offers the best selection of used boats on the market.