Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: sunglasses
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wear prescription, blended lenses glasses and was looking for sunglasses that would fit over my glasses......Our local fly shop recommended "Cocoons Fitovers" with the low vision (brown tint) polarized lenses....this was an excellent solution.
You need to find a retailer who carries these sun glasses in order to make sure your glasses fit inside the Cocoons....they make several sizes and styles.
I paid about $40 several years ago.....beat them up and they still works great.
The low vision tint works good for streams, rivers and lakes here in Oregon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
I wear prescription, blended lenses glasses and was looking for sunglasses that would fit over my glasses......Our local fly shop recommended "Cocoons Fitovers" with the low vision (brown tint) polarized lenses....this was an excellent solution.
You need to find a retailer who carries these sun glasses in order to make sure your glasses fit inside the Cocoons....they make several sizes and styles.
I paid about $40 several years ago.....beat them up and they still works great.
The low vision tint works good for streams, rivers and lakes here in Oregon.

Yes, with perscription lenses you can easily be looking at $500-600 for a pair of sunglasses. Always thought the Cocoons always looks "clunky" and heavy. I have found another manufacture that make a more streamlined fit-over sunglass with a much higher quality lenses. They are call Fit-Overs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

islandspeed2001....good to know about another "fit over sunglasses company".
My Cocoons are actually very light weight and do not slide down my nose....I added a safety lanyard "just in case" or need to temporarily remove them and hang around my neck.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you look around, you can get quality polarized prescription sunglasses for less than $200. I had a pair of Smith polarized sunglasses with glass lenses that I really liked, but I dropped them on a rock and broke one of the lenses. Loved the glass lenses, but they were expensive; about $350. I just got a pair of prescription Suncloud polarized sunglasses with polycarbonate lenses for $168.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

MAUI JIMS.

I have been a long time buyer and wearer of Oakley glasses. I have owned at least 20 pair. I would not considered another pair. My latest were the Polarized HiJinx with Poly lenses. I was satisfied with the performance they allowed to have. And Then, I was given a pair of Maui Jim Stingrays with Polarized Bronze Glass Lenses. I was blown away with the clarity and quality of the lenses. I then bought a pair of the Peahi s . The price is steep, but you are also paying for exceptional quality and unbelievable service. I feel you get what you pay for and should not skimp on the protection of your eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ronbo613 wrote:
If you look around, you can get quality polarized prescription sunglasses for less than $200. I had a pair of Smith polarized sunglasses with glass lenses that I really liked, but I dropped them on a rock and broke one of the lenses. Loved the glass lenses, but they were expensive; about $350. I just got a pair of prescription Suncloud polarized sunglasses with polycarbonate lenses for $168.

If your perscription is for only near sighted or far sighted then they are more reasonable. If you need both, you are talking big bucks. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

islandspeed2001 wrote:
ronbo613 wrote:

If your perscription is for only near sighted or far sighted then they are more reasonable. If you need both, you are talking big bucks. :(

If you are talking about bifocal prescription lenses, they do cost a little more and you can't get that kind of prescription with certain frames(like extremely curved "wraparound" frames), but the progressive lenses(no line bifocals) I looked at were only $30-40 more than single vision glasses. You have to shop around. You can get prescription glasses really cheap, but the company that sells them has pretty questionable customer service.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i like costas, my last pair I bought about 3 years ago the Zane, was made in Japan. I recently lost them, and went to buy the same exact ones. (black frame, blue 580g etc). They felt cheap, the fit way looser than the pair I wore for 3 years. Look inside the temple, made in Taiwan. Garbage.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've worn Oakleys and RayBans for many years, but eventually the lenses drop out (maybe its the frames I keep choosing?).
My dad is a Maui Jim fan, and I confess I almost stole his sunglasses. Very nice brand!
I'm taking delivery of some Hobie sunglasses today and am anxious to try them out.
Next splurge will be Costas though, https://www.costadelmar.com/shop/sunglasses/fathom-1/1138 580g blue mirror.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I dislike burning my money and paying for a name instead of a product is doing just that. If a product has a logo or name on it identifying the manufacturer I don't buy it.

I need bifocals/readers and for sunglasses I use two brands, DeWalt that sell for $10 and are not polarized, and Coyote that sell for $70 and are polarized. At $70 the Coyote sunglasses are still a ripoff but much less so than other brands selling for two to three times as much.

Often I need a non-polarized pair of sunglasses with LCD screens as the polarized lenses often make the displays impossible to read which is why the DeWalt bifocal sunglasses.

Regardless of the sunglasses I want to know that they provide 100% UVA and UVB blocking. Polarizing does nothing to block UV light that will damage the eyes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jcanracer wrote:
I've worn Oakleys and RayBans for many years, but eventually the lenses drop out (maybe its the frames I keep choosing?).
My dad is a Maui Jim fan, and I confess I almost stole his sunglasses. Very nice brand!
I'm taking delivery of some Hobie sunglasses today and am anxious to try them out.
Next splurge will be Costas though, https://www.costadelmar.com/shop/sunglasses/fathom-1/1138 580g blue mirror.

In case anyone is wondering, the Hobie sunglasses are nice and light and do a good job so far.
The frame is a bit thicker than I am used to, but that's not a negative aspect, just a personal observation by someone who usually wears thin metal frames or semi-frameless sunglasses.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I really like the ChromaPop by Smith Optics

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[color=#4040BF][color=#4000FF][/color][/color]. Smith optics chroma pop are exact same lens as costa 580 lens excellent polarized lens where the colors truly pop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am a Costa fan, my first two pairs were Fathoms with the Amber/Green Mirror and Gray/Blue Mirror Lenses. They lasted about 8 years and I sold each pair for about $125. A few years ago I got back into fishing pretty hardcore and found that I could never get back to that Costa feel...I had Oakleys, Electric, Quicksilver, and the generic Calcutta glasses. So, I recently picked up a pair of Costa Cortez with the 580P...I really like them so far, but wish I had gone with the glass...next time. I'll never own another brand...they seem to be the best for my usage which is being worn everyday whether fishing, hiking, garden work or whatever comes to pass. Good luck on your choice.