Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: stuck in the mud
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I fish the outback in a lot of marshy areas.

Sometimes I have to leave the safety of the kayak and walk in the marshes and I find myself knee-deep in mud. I have heard of a product called "mudderboots" that allow you to walk in mud w/o sinking.

Has anyone used the mudderboots ? How about a pair of snowshoes to navigate thru the mud ?

Post subject: Re: stuck in the mud
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You need a pair of "splatchers" - these are (home-made) wooden boards that strap onto the feet over rubber boots to allow the wearer to walk over soft mud without the feet sinking in. I believe they are reasonably common amongst yachties in the tidal reaches of the Thames tributaries and other marshy areas of the south east of England.

One thing to consider carefully before venturing out over deep mud is that even with splatchers on, if you fall over it can be very difficult/well nigh impossible to get back onto your feet again because the mud does not provide any support as you try to push yourself up. (Thinks: time to invent 'hand splatchers' or 'splatcher gloves' :? )

Last edited by stobbo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stobbo wrote:
One thing to consider carefully before venturing out over deep mud is that even with splatchers on, if you fall over it can be very difficult/well nigh impossible to get back onto your feet again because the mud does not provide any support as you try to push yourself up.

In a situation like that, you would need a sky hook

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I work with water search and rescue out of Beaufort, we use the "mudders" for mud rescue, also have a couple of pair of collapsible walking sticks from WalMart with 6 inch discs made from starboard for extra surface area on the tips. Gloves and knee pads are also standard for us. Check with a company called "Ben Meadows". Cost is around $140.00. They work well and one fits inside the other for storage. PS - we use them ALL the time to recover kayakers....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In our area there is no such thing as knee deep..... it is waist deep :!: You don't get out of the kayak :!:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That happened to me this past weekend kayaking in low tide in a local marsh when I hit an unexpected shallow area. I couldn't budge at all, even trying to push off with the end of the paddle, so I finally got out of the kayak. It was pretty scary when first one foot then the other sank into knee deep mud and ooze. Suddenly old school book images of the LaBrea Tar Pits began flashing in my mind. Then I fell a few times.

I was thinking that all the health and running magazines recently debunked the value of those "Vibram" barefoot running shoes that made people look, not just web-footed, but like the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Those ought to be pretty cheap to pick up these days.