Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boat Ramp Question
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When solo launching from a ramp how do you prevent damage to hulls while parking the truck? Do any of you use fenders? If so how do you stow them when sailing?

Post subject: Re: Boat Ramp Question
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Launching at a marina, or at the ocean can be a challenge, due to waves, swell, concrete and barnacles.

We launch our Hobie using Cat Trax.... from the dinghy area at our Sailing Club,
down the ramp, into the water, and using a painter tied to the dolphin striker,
we tie the loose end of the painter to the dock.

We try to pick the side of the dock so that the wind is blowing away from the dock,
which is good, as the Hobie will float away to the extent it is tethered by the painter.
Then we can loosen the Cat Trax, return them to the side of the ramp (or in your case, the truck, then park the truck),
and return to the boat to complete the rigging.

With no sails up, the Hobie is usually quite happy to sit there. If you have to rig BEFORE you launch, yes, you will have a stability problem.... can you round up a 'volunteer' to hold the painter?

If the wind is onshore, we tie ours sideways on to the dock.
Our wooden dock is designed for dinghies, so it has a 'rubbing strip' to prevent damage to the hulls.
There is no wake or surf in this launching area.
Our challenge is 'goose grease' on the dock, as we have a resident flock of Canadian geese in the shallows close to the Club.

If we need to wait our turn to launch, we often place a life jacket underneath a hull, let the boat rest,
then launch.... fenders can be stored anywhere you find handy, tied onto shrouds?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Most ramps that I have used (in lakes), have a sandy beach nearby. I launch, wade in the water and drag the boat to the beach. Then I return to my car and drive off the ramp to the parking lot. If, where you launch, there is a beach close enough but you can't wade to it, you could paddle there and then return to your truck. Otherwise it would be worth looking for a ramp more suitable for a Hobie. You don't need a ramp if there is a beach where you could back up close and drag the boat off the trailer onto the grass, rig and drag it into the water.

Where are you sailing and what choices are there?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hrtsailor wrote:
Most ramps that I have used (in lakes), have a sandy beach nearby. I launch, wade in the water and drag the boat to the beach. Then I return to my car and drive off the ramp to the parking lot. If, where you launch, there is a beach close enough but you can't wade to it, you could paddle there and then return to your truck. Otherwise it would be worth looking for a ramp more suitable for a Hobie. You don't need a ramp if there is a beach where you could back up close and drag the boat off the trailer onto the grass, rig and drag it into the water.

Where are you sailing and what choices are there?

Thanks, Howard. There is a beach nearby however 2 issues. If I paddle over and leave truck unattended for 10 min or so may upset other waiting to launch. Biggest issue is the beach is close but water is deep, i believe. So i paddle over and than swim back?

Maybe tie to dock, park, paddle to beach and rig sails. Reverse to load cat

Here is a satelite photo of the ramp. Zoom in and you can see the setup

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/attachme ... 1328759214

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any other ramps on that body of water. Preferably un-improved ones. That ramp is a hobie cat sailors worse nightmare LOL.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hobiesrock wrote:
Any other ramps on that body of water. Preferably un-improved ones. That ramp is a hobie cat sailors worse nightmare LOL.

Perfect hand launch sand beach on lake across street in same park. 2 problems

1. lake is smaller
2. no trailer parking.

Of course there is always the ocean about 90 minute drive, Ormond and Daytona.

I can park on beach and launch there but as a new sailor concerned about surf !!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd say your going to have to get crafty then! :mrgreen:
Are you sailing solo? Have someone to hold boat at dock while you zip truck/trailer to parking spot?
I think I would do it like this:

1. step mast and load all sails/life jackets/etc onto tramp in the prep area.
2. drop boat in water (make sure you have overhead clearance to drive boat mast up!)
3. tie/have someone hold boat while you park.
4. paddle to beach to rig boat.
5. go sail!
6. reverse operation when ya leave

ps...put your location in your profile (user control panel at top right of page) so peeps can see where ya are. They may have ideas for optional launch spots or at least may find a sailing buddy who will hold your boat for ya at the dock! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hobiesrock wrote:
I'd say your going to have to get crafty then! :mrgreen:
Are you sailing solo? Have someone to hold boat at dock while you zip truck/trailer to parking spot?
I think I would do it like this:

1. step mast and load all sails/life jackets/etc onto tramp in the prep area.
2. drop boat in water (make sure you have overhead clearance to drive boat mast up!)
3. tie/have someone hold boat while you park.
4. paddle to beach to rig boat.
5. go sail!
6. reverse operation when ya leave

ps...put your location in your profile (user control panel at top right of page) so peeps can see where ya are. They may have ideas for optional launch spots or at least may find a sailing buddy who will hold your boat for ya at the dock! :lol:

10-4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Are you familiar with the Lake Eustice Sailing Club? (http://www.lescfl.com) Might not be too far from you. They offer dry storage to members some of whom have beach cats. Your boat could live on beach wheels with no trailering and a very nice lake to sail on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

DaveW70 wrote:
Are you familiar with the Lake Eustice Sailing Club? (http://www.lescfl.com) Might not be too far from you. They offer dry storage to members some of whom have beach cats. Your boat could live on beach wheels with no trailering and a very nice lake to sail on.

Appreciate that !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The thing that strikes me about this launch/dock area is that you can figure out where the boat will be on the lee side of the dock and moor it there while you park the truck. Under the right conditions you can probably rig on the dock as well.