Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bug repellent
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I fish in the back bays in my outback and bugs are all around.

I have heard that Thermacell is a good product, but I dont know if it would protect if i am moving.

Has anyone tried Thermacell or recommend a good repellent ?

Post subject: Re: Bug repellent
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:44 pm 
Hobie Team Member

My opinion:

Thermacell = effective in a box stand or when sitting still on a calm day. Not so good on the kayak. You have to be downwind from it and the wind can't be any stronger than about 3-5 mph.

Deet 40% = great for repelling mosquitos, not so good for "gnats" which are actually midges.

Victoria's Secret - Amber Romance Lotion OR Swamp Swatter lotion = good protection against mosquitos and great protection against midges. Both smell "pretty" so make sure the wifey-poo knows why you're coming home smelling so sweet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yak-a-Lou wrote:
Deet 40% = great for repelling mosquitos, not so good for "gnats" .......

Deet is a solvent. Be careful what types of plastics you get overspray on. I got some on my lowrance and a ram mount and they are permanently white speckled now. It didn't seem to affect the mounting boards or hull of my PA.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:53 am 
Hobie Team Member

napleskayakfish wrote:
Deet is a solvent. Be careful what types of plastics you get overspray on. I got some on my lowrance and a ram mount and they are permanently white speckled now. It didn't seem to affect the mounting boards or hull of my PA.

True. Be extra careful not to get it on sunglass lenses either. I also try not to get it on fingertips --> baits.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I treat my clothes with a permethrin solution that I buy in bulk and dilute myself. Costs about 5 cents to treat a shirt and have it last through 6 washings with 0.5% solution. With 2% solution it will last for 50 washings but that is overkill.

With clothing covered I use picaridin on my exposed skin for mosquitoes and other critters. It is as effective as DEET if you use a 15-20 percent solution. Unlike DEET it does not affect plastics or synthetic clothing.

For chiggers and noseeums I have found Avon's Skin So Soft to be great. I mix it 50-50 with picaridin if in an area where these bitters are present.

I have found that the combination of treated clothing and the repellant on my skin to be 100% effective.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I like to be careful what I expose myself too. I have been using Repel Lemon Eucalyptus, which is DEET free. Seem quite effective to me and gets great reviews.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Eucalyptus is only marginally effective. Instead of 20 bites one might only get 10 bites. Same applies to relying on citronella. I worry about the diseases carried by mosquitoes and chiggers and ticks which are life threatening and not a possible skin rash from an insect repellant. I also treat my clothes so I can use far less repellant on my skin and still get 100% protection.

My wife and I spend weeks in Central America and SE Asia without a single bite from anything with this approach. It is even more hazardous in California where we live. The ticks in Santa Cruz county carry some 22 different type of pathogens. There are three carried by the various local mosquito species in the area.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wintersun wrote:
I treat my clothes with a permethrin solution that I buy in bulk and dilute myself. Costs about 5 cents to treat a shirt and have it last through 6 washings with 0.5% solution. With 2% solution it will last for 50 washings but that is overkill.

With clothing covered I use picaridin on my exposed skin for mosquitoes and other critters. It is as effective as DEET if you use a 15-20 percent solution. Unlike DEET it does not affect plastics or synthetic clothing.

For chiggers and noseeums I have found Avon's Skin So Soft to be great. I mix it 50-50 with picaridin if in an area where these bitters are present.

I have found that the combination of treated clothing and the repellant on my skin to be 100% effective.

Wintersun, Would you tell me more about:1. How to treat the clothes, and 2. How to make the solution using the Picaridin? I would love to try that. Could you cover where to buy, how to apply, how to store, etc? Any potential damage or risk to using these two substances?

Thanks in advance!