Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can anyone suggest where I may be able to purchase 2 T24 SW Watersnakes. I am in San Diego,Ca. Thanks, Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

YO, Over Here ! ANYBODY HELP WITH THIS QUESTION ? I Didn't Think It was gonna be considered a stupid question. Its just that I have been looking around on the net to no avail. Thanx for looking. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe people didn't know what it was
I goggled it - came up with a bunch of sites selling it - http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Watersnake-Asp-Transom-Mount-Saltwater-Trolling-Motor-T24-SW-24-lb-Thrust&i=693704
Doubt anyone thought your question was silly - just didn't get any replies - that can happen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey, jbernier. Thanks for getting back to me. I had checked with gander mountain previous to posting my concern. I just got off the phone with G.M. a bit ago and now they are telling me that the item is still out of stock and that they are discontinued. Guess I'll keep looking. BTW, if you ever plan a trip to San Diego,give me a holler. I know of a couple of nice watering holes where we can tie up to and have a couple cold ones during a day on the bay.Cheers !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There is a chance watersnake has unified the sw and fw motors. Asp T24 is available at amazon.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only difference between the fresh and saltwater motors was the color.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom Kirkman wrote:
The only difference between the fresh and saltwater motors was the color.

Hello, Tom. First off Thanks for getting back at me. I have heard that you are indeed an Old Salt on this topic!. Could you tell me if 18- 24 lbs. of thrust is actually enough to get me out past the surf line and out to the local kelp beds while loaded to say 400 lbs total including the PA 14 weight and tackle necessary for a day on the water? Thanks and Tight Lines. Cheers !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What you're going to find is that the larger/higher thrust motors don't buy you much extra in a kayak due to the fact that none of these little boats really tax these motors and their low pitch props. You'll travel about as fast in a 20lb motor as you will on a 50lb thrust motor, and burn less battery juice.

But in your situation and the conditions you expect to encounter, I would buy a simple 30lb thrust motor. I think given the PA's weight and the water you're headed to, this will give you the best all around combination of power/speed/battery conservation.

The other thing I would consider doing is adding Hobie's sail kit to your PA. Granted, you'll need at least some wind, but even in mild conditions this will propel your PA better than any trolling motor. It's an accessory I no longer go out without. Get the furling kit so you can get it out of your way when you're not actually using it. It can save the day for you in some situations. When you combine the sail and Mirage Drive, you're apt to leave the trolling motor guys behind. But again, this won't always be the ideal set up.

Finally, the ocean is something you can't trifle with. No matter what you do to propel the PA, and there is a limit, you may find days when you just won't be able to go. Err on the side of caution.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your input Tom. I will definitely be going with a 30 lb. set-up. Any preference on make of motor and battery? Your advice is much appreciated on this end of the pen. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use what is commonly called a "mart cart" battery. 35 amps hours and weighs only about 23 pounds. For the ocean, I might tempted to go on up to a 55 amp hour model and just deal with the extra weight.

There is one other possibility, and that's a high end lithium-ion in the 55 amp hour size. That one will only weigh about 25 pounds but it'll cost you about $750. But if you're going to do this on a regular basis and the motor is going to be a primary motivator for you, it might be a good investment.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cool, I will be shopping around for a mart-cart battery tomorrow. And motor-wise I guess it just has to be able to fit into pedal-drive opening. I have seen a few posts of people using the watersnake T24 but, to this point have not been able to find anyone selling them. Any suggestions on trolling motors? Thanks again for your time and advice,Tom. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

http://www.broadwaytackle.com/servlet/t ... ASP/Detail

Just receive my today .also check out installation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl09EZG ... pScha9polX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just flip my Hobie cart upside down, remove the wheels, attach a length of hardwood, and mount my trolling motor.
I can still use my Mirage drive, and can easily swivel the motor up and out of the water when not in use, or when in very shallow water.

This is on my Outback, but it'll give you the idea:Image

Pretty simple - just needed to drill 2 holes through the cart frame, (and board), add 2 bolts & wing nuts, and 2 mini-bungees to hold the board down.Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The guys on the Snaggedline website have a lot of experience with the engines ......... Tom is right that you don't get much increased speed with the higher capacity engine ......... What you do get is increased power that helps you recover much faster from waves so the higher power motors will help you with waves ........ That said ........ I don't know anybody that uses an engine on a surf launch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for getting back to me on this matter fellas. At this time of the year,what I really need the extra Thrust for is to help me while I am out at night hooping for Lobster. With the added weight of nets and such that I lug around. That is a cool setup there Thumper. Looks like it ends up in a nice position to be able to reach the motor. Thanks again for your time and input. Cheers !!