Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sailing in TX
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am considering a move from NY's Long Island to the Houston area.
What is sailing like in TX? I have a Wave and a 28ft sloop.
Thanks for sharing,
Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Going to Houston, are ya...

www.tcdyc.com or www.texascitydike.com

and this is just the start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wasn't going to reply since I'm not local to Houston... But since there has been only one other reply.

Unfortunately, Hobie Division 6 and Hobie Fleet 8 don't seem to have a good internet presence.

Houston does have a big racing scene. I know folks from up here that regularly head down to race - including the guy who runs the loft here and sails a Star.

More links:
http://www.sailingtexas.com/race0000.html - (OK site, but with pop-ups).
http://www.houstonyachtclub.com/
http://www.seabrook-sailing.org/default.htm
http://www.galvestonyachtclub.com/
http://www.sailtexas.com/
http://www.bsailing.com/

Access to the Gulf is easy. And parts of the Intercoastal are fun cruising. Wife and I have a good time everytime we head down.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Houston area cat racing is Open Class. We don't agree with Hobie's rules and decided to race on open class terms. This means we promote sailing on all levels, with all makes and manufactures of boats (not just one manufacturer), and especially for all ages. Division 6 is no longer recognized by Hobie because of this, but the links I provided earlier will provide you with a wealth of information needed for sailing the Houston and surrounding areas. The Division 6 website still works, but not very much happens there.

www.catamaran.ws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

hey...where on the island are you?? I live in the Oyster Bay area, but keep my boat and sail out in Peconic Bay (Jamesport)

Post subject: Re: Sailing in TX
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I never sailed in Texas but I lived there many years and I can tell you that there are many large lakes as well as coastal areas that will keep you excited for many years.Lake Travis located outside of the capital(Austin) is a beautifu lake with lot's of room.All the coastal areas are perfect for Hobie cat sailing.

Lot' of luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie 18 7877,
Don't agree with Hobie rules, but not shy about taking advantage of the company web site. Cheep #%$%$###! Time for you to go buy one of those other cats you are promoting here and watch how much support you get. Lets name the dead cats from the other guys, Nacra5.0, 5.2, 5.7, 6.0, 5.8, f-18 (round one), F18 (round 2), 18 square, Prindle 15, 16, 18, 18-2, 19 and yet the Hobies, even the ones not made any more are still supported here, and with parts and people who can tell you about how to make your old boat live for just one more season... ...this in addition to the regional and nation regatta support, and international sailing support, and youth development... ...I know you can't see it, but you and your sailing buddies are making a big mistake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

jollymonjeff,

First, let me apologize for Hammond hi-jacking your thread.

Again, check out the links I provided and you will find numerous friends and places to sail in the Houston and surrounding areas. However, what you will not find is people like Hammond. If you show up with a Hobie 14 with an all aluminum mast (no comptip), we will not turn you away. If you show up with an Inter 20, we will not turn you away. If you show up without a boat, we will not turn you away; we would even invite you to take a test ride to help you determine what kind of boat you might be interested in (racing, pleasure). Hammond would rather you sit on the beach because you don't have a Hobie or your Hobie does not meet Hobie Class rules. Thanks to portsmouth ratings, you can sail with us.

jellymonjeff,

Now I must apologize for replying to Hammond's remark using your thread, but I will leave it alone after this.

A little note to Hammond: I don't know you, and you don't know me. However, if you did, you would see that I race a Hobie 18. I promote my now discontinued boat with pride. I consider it somewhat of a collector's item because it has such a great versatility (can be used for racing and for pleasure). I have been told many times to upgrade and buy an Inter 20, but I keep holding out that Hobie will produce a competative 20 footer in the future. Who knows, we will see. If they do, I will be one of the first to purchase it. It sure is nice at the end of the regatta to say, "I sure put a whippin on that Nacra 6.0, Inter 20, and that Prindle. And my boat is 24 years old!" Unfortunately Hammond, if you race Hobie class only, you will never be able to enjoy that feeling. I close with this conversation at a recent Hobie regatta:

"Sir, I like to race my catamaran in your regatta. Where do I register?"

"Well son, you register here. Do you have a Hobie with a comptip?"

"Uh, no sir. I have my dads old Boston Whaler. I am not even sure what a comptip is. I plan on getting a Hobie in the future, but I just can't afford a new one right now. I though about selling this one and buying a used one off one of those internet auction sites, but my dad sailed this one when he was a kid, and I am really afraid that I might get one that is in really bad shape. I have heard a lot about something called delamination causing structural issues. Can I still participate?"

"Well son, I am sorry that you drove such a long way, but you can't participate in our regatta. You have to have a class legal Hobie. Maybe in the future, when you purchase your Hobie, you could come back and participate. However, I will check with some of the other skippers and see if they might need crew if you are interested."

Encouraging words, indeed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Mike,

It was kind of wierd seeing our old 18 with your old sail #7877 racing at the Nationals. Your Alter Cup platform with some newer sails is what Juan raced, and did quite well with. They gave Juans' friends a one time exemption for not having a comp-tip on our old boat, took his entry fee, and all was good.

You should consider finding an used H20 and making it to a few of the Division 14 events. Although maybe not as fast as the N20, they're still a crazy fast boat! We bought hull #307 and with a newer sail and find that we can be competitive, and the 20's are one of the biggest fleets, and growing.

Now that you're way up in North Texas would'nt be much travel time. Mid-Americas we'll be here before you know it! Food for thought. Glad to see you're still posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

More dead cats further prove my point, the super cat company sold to whaler which gave up the boats. If the super/whaler sailor breaks the dolphin striker cable or needs other one-off parts, what is he/she to do. The boat is worthless.

My feelings are; Shop local (nearest dealer), support the company that has stuck by both its products and sailors, if you race, race true one design. Is it you or your deap pockets that are faster? With one design you don't have to buy this year's fastest boat/sail/mast/rudders/boards, You just show up and race.

The comptip was a painfull process for all including Hobie, but if it saves one person from a fatal mistake, then it is worth the cost and trouble. I guess you have not seen a person push a rigged boat into a power line with the mast up. It is really an awful sight.

I do not race much any more, but I do race both open and one design events in all types of boats. I currently own a Hobie 20, Wave, and two Hobie pedel Kayaks, plus access to assorted other family boats. You are right about one thing. You will not find me at your club or at its events. I have been sailing since 1974, raced venture cats, aqua cats, prindle cats, Nacra, P-cats, tornados, many assorted monohulls, raced in college, cruised offshore. I have sailed with/against Hobie Sr. and his sons, Jeff Prindle, Randy Smyth, Jay Glaser... ... all great people, but the Hobie cat company and the class association in all its itterations has shown in words and deeds that it is the place to be.

There is a time and place for open class racing, but not at the expense of one design racing. Look at the monohull world and the long standing one design classes. One thing holds true. The caliber of the racing and the longevity of the class depend on the strong one design concept, not open class events. Snipe, Thistle, Lightning, J-24, Melges 24. These boats do not race against eachother, they all have strong one design fleets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Dog wrote:
Unfortunately, Hobie Division 6 and Hobie Fleet 8 don't seem to have a good internet presence. Brian C

Unfortunately for Brian (and the rest of us) a little research and local course knowledge as to why would have helped before this statement was made. As soon as it was posted I knew what followed wouldn't be pretty.

You two Mikes could go on forever I suppose and I'd guess neither of you will change your mind much. Both of you contribute appreciable knowledge to this forum, and my thanks to both of you.

Houston sailing IS WHAT IT IS.

Any further conversation would best be posted under Racing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John Eaton wrote:
The Dog wrote:
Unfortunately, Hobie Division 6 and Hobie Fleet 8 don't seem to have a good internet presence. Brian C

Unfortunately for Brian (and the rest of us) a little research and local course knowledge as to why would have helped before this statement was made. As soon as it was posted I knew what followed wouldn't be pretty.

Yeah, sorry about that. The research I did gave me no idea of the bad blood between sailors down south and the HCA-NA. I've got a lot of customers from down that way, but none of them had every mentioned anything along those lines. And since the only racing I do is windsurf racing.... If I'd had a clue, I wouldn't have said anything.

I guess my only input it that it looks like an opporutnity to have twice as much racing. But that's just me looking at the bright side of things, and not taking the whole racing thing too seriously in the first place.

Brian C

Post subject: Wave action in TX
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you all ( and I do mean all, everyone has their opinion. But maybe a little less coffe would do you good. If there were not other boats beside Hobie's how would we know how good we have it?) for your help and information. I sail out of Oceanside and Point Lookout NY and I just got a good job offer in Houston. The housing in the Houston area is certainly priced more attractively than Long Island. If I can be near the water, have a home for my just starting out family, then Houston may just be the right place.

My wife and I are thinking it over carefully, and will fly down this coming weekend to check out areas to live. If it works out, then I would love to meet some of the local sailors and learn the waters.

Like sailors everywhere, You have all been a warm and friendly bunch. Thanks! Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did someone say coffee?

Brian C

Post subject: Sailing in Houston
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When looking at Houston (Seabrook, Keamah) the water seemed really silty, muddy...industrial.
Is clear lake one of those opposite nicknames?

For some reason I was expecting something closer to Clearwater FL.

Is it just the time of the year?
I appreciate the responses.
Jeff