Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transporting the mast
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am thinking of driving 400 miles with the TI. I have the TI trailer by Trailex, I also have the mast and sail bag. Should it be ok to lay the sail on top of the TI and strap it down for the drive? I have only transported the TI short distanced and I drive slowly for those distances so this hasn't been a question. Any pics of custom setups would be helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Make sure you have the mast in the bag, and the bag need to be pulled tight everywhere so it can't flap in the wind ( I use small bungys every few feet) otherwise you will just shred the bag, then the sail on the highway. Of course the opening on the bag is in the back. I have way over 100k highway miles on mine and haven't had any problems. Also make sure everything is removed from the boat ( ie... Seats, tramps, etc), especially spray skirts, I have totally shredded quite a few spray skirts now on the highway.
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Bob, I didn't think there would be much of a problem laying the mast on the boat during transportation, as long as it is secure, as you said.

Thanks for the additional tips, I was planning on removing as much as I could during transportation.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the Trailex double AI trailer and simply lay the masts in bags on the trailer tongue tied down w/ 2-3 cam straps. I put the seats in each boat and put a haka on top of each seat to hold and protect them. Obviously, everything you do at home, does not have to be done at launch. In this picture, the very ugly, corroded, & peeling hardware on the red AI, has all been sanded and was repainted with the final coat this morning. It looks beautiful, but is still drying, or I would have taken a new picture.

I’ve trailered this rig on a 200 and 400 mi trip at freeway speeds w/o any problem.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This was my solution. PVC tube underneath.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The PVC solution is very nice, I also like the seat!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I travelled from Adelaide to Sunshine Coast, 1,342 miles in 100 degree F, with the TI on
the roof of the car and the mast/sail on top. I tied the mast, in the cover at front,
middle and rear. I made sure the open end of the cover was at the rear. And that
was the standard grey cover which is still in one piece.

Absolutely no problems.

Admittedly this was on top of the car which is probably a smoother ride than a trailer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hogman-

Would you be able to provide a few details on your seat back rest. LOVE IT! I use a similar method and just "shove" the boat seat back down between the crossbar and rear seat well (fits snug)- however I like your concept of "folding" and or reclining the seat. Does it fold flat?

Appreciate any secrets that you could provide!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Vabeach2 wrote:
Hogman-

Would you be able to provide a few details on your seat back rest. LOVE IT! I use a similar method and just "shove" the boat seat back down between the crossbar and rear seat well (fits snug)- however I like your concept of "folding" and or reclining the seat. Does it fold flat?

Appreciate any secrets that you could provide!

Added a stainless steel cross bar bolted through, and hinged seat back.
Since these photos I have made the base a bit thinner so the back folds all the way forward (flat). Plus it reclines back for a bit of a snooze when the fish aren't biting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks good! Im gonna see what I can rig up this weekend!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

+1 for the pvc tube. I used to strap it down... saves time, protects it, etc. 6" pvc, then the end just threads on with a pin to hold it in place. (not screwed tight)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
I have the Trailex double AI trailer ...

Keith - what is the dimension for the load bars needed to carry two AI's with the cradles side-by-side like that ?

Quote:
In this picture, the very ugly, corroded, & peeling hardware on the red AI, has all been sanded and was repainted with the final coat this morning. It looks beautiful, but is still drying, or I would have taken a new picture

.. a job I too need to do in short order. Did you try anything different paint-wise this time ?

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Drifting a little further off topic, Keith is that the boat with the sacrificial anodes? Yuck! I hope you took it down to bare metal. It's a slow process, I learned.

Back on track, those Haka appear to transport well in the cockpit. I have not tried that yet. Seems to fit, if you can put the sail somewhere else, as you did.

Regarding the sail bag tearing over time due to wind turbulence, one could "put a sock on it" (the mast base) before inserting it in the bag.

I developed holes in mine (I have the male mast base) and have started wrapping a bungee around the front of the bag to keep it from flapping violently in the wind. That did the trick.