Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,

My name is Bill, and I've just joined the forum with the aim of learning how to sail/crew a Hobie Cat before I buy one. I've thought Hobie's were the coolest since I was a kid some 30-35 years ago, and it's now time to take the plunge!

Although I've crewed on a couple of 32+ foot sailboats while racing on the Great Lakes, I don't really know much at all about sailing (except to very energetically execute barked out orders! Hah). I understand the basic concept of harnessing the wind, but the hardware, terminology, etc. are at this point largely (but not completely) foreign.

I've sent an email to the membership director of Hobie Fleet 61 (Denver) saying pretty much the same, but figured I'd introduce myself and see if there's anyone in the Boulder/Denver area on the forum.

So...I'd love to crew, love to learn, and finally make it happen (btw I'm 6'2" /180 lbs/ reasonably athletic).

Looking to here back from ya!

Thanks,

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

before I purchased my boat, I asked folks on these boards how to sail and they pointed me to a book, sailing for dummies. And while it might have more than you need to know, it covers a great deal of what you NEED to know. And it does so without being boring. I think it is worth the read.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have found the FLeet 61 webpage and sent an email you are certainly headed in the right direction! They are a good group!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the lead on the book! I'm gonna pick that one up, as well as peruse YouTube for videos on the subject.

I was originally thinking about getting a sunfish, but now I'm looking at getting a Bravo on my way to a 14 to 16 Cat :)

I've not yet heard back from Fleet 61, but hope to hear soon

Anyone else out there in the Denver area looking for crew ?