Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howdy folks,

I am in the process of acquiring an i9s,

I was thinking of attaching shoulder straps to the i9s bag like the included Water Master dry bag uses http://www.bigskyinflatables.com/WM_Accessories.html

Or attaching the i9s bag to a meat carrying backpack frame,

I am also considering a small or folding bicycle and carry the i9s on my back or on a folding or small bicycle trailer,

When I get to my destination by foot, bus, bike, or bike & trailer, I could attach the pack frame or bike/trailer to the stern of the i9s and be on the water shortly,

I have seen a few Water Master owners that carry them on their back and and by bicycle, and secure the bike, bike/trailer to the stern and be fishing in short order,

I have 2 lakes in easy bicycling distance, Cottage Grove, Oregon,

Others lakes would require longish bus rides and and in some cases hiking/biking from the bus stops to the water and or camping at destinations, since I would most likely not make the last bus back at night, ...one more cast, just one more cast...

Does anyone out there have experience with such endeavors with the i9s ?

Thanking You In Advance

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HowardK wrote:
Howdy folks,

I am in the process of acquiring an i9s,

I was thinking of attaching shoulder straps to the i9s bag like the included Water Master dry bag uses http://www.bigskyinflatables.com/WM_Accessories.html

You are looking at a considerable amount of weight on your back either way. Then climbing on a bicycle and trying to balance? Might work but if having to go any distance might be a chore that when you get to the lake you will be very tired and need a break for the day?

Or attaching the i9s bag to a meat carrying backpack frame,

I am also considering a small or folding bicycle and carry the i9s on my back or on a folding or small bicycle trailer,

Have you thought about the extras you will need to carry on the bike with you? Water, food, fishing equipment, air pumb for the i9, etc?

When I get to my destination by foot, bus, bike, or bike & trailer, I could attach the pack frame or bike/trailer to the stern of the i9s and be on the water shortly,

I have seen a few Water Master owners that carry them on their back and and by bicycle, and secure the bike, bike/trailer to the stern and be fishing in short order,

I have 2 lakes in easy bicycling distance, Cottage Grove, Oregon,

Others lakes would require longish bus rides and and in some cases hiking/biking from the bus stops to the water and or camping at destinations, since I would most likely not make the last bus back at night, ...one more cast, just one more cast...

Does anyone out there have experience with such endeavors with the i9s ?

Check out the description area on the hobie website and see how much the i9 weights and the extras that go with the i9 and does not fit in the bag..

Thanking You In Advance

Hope this helps you a little.. My answers are in red to you questions. Good luck!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howdy Thinwater skinner,

Thank You for your response,

I agree with your thoughts,

I read that rigged weight is 67 pounds, additional fishing and life support I would carry is about 8+- pounds for an overnight in fair weather, so figure 75 +- weight total,

so it looks like a trailer will be my best option for the i9s and my overnight bag over my shoulder,

Again Thank You for your response