Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey,

So I finally had an opportunity to use the Hobie Dodger for the TI. I have to say that aside from endemic quality issues in the manufacture (wrong sized fiberglass poles & broken clasps on a NEW UNIT). I don't understand the general dismissal of the item on the forums. I have found the thing to be easy to instal and a great way to shield the front passenger from icy michigan waters! I would recommend it if Hobie would do better QC on the item.

Also. It was BLOWING here on lake Leelanau yesterday. Gusts to 19knots. I went out solo in my TI. And in about thirty feet of water snapped a rudder pin. That's when all hell broke loose. Needless to say steering became impossible. I grabbed my Hobie paddle (which I almost never carry with me) and used it as a rudder. I reefed the sail, headed for the closest shore and proceeded to TRY to replace the pin.

The boat was being blown against a rocky shore and I was unable to reseat the new pin. Eventually, even the second pin snapped while trying to get it in place!

This scenario fills me with horror, because I've done some serious expiditions in Lake Michigan, sometime up to 7 miles from land. I can't imagine being able to replace a pin in 6 foot swells with 65 degree water. ughhhhhhhh! Worst case scenario.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Been to Leeland a few times. Great sailing lake!

We are starting up a new vendor for Dodgers, so the quality will be reviewed before approved for sure. I suspect they will be much better as this vendor does a lot of stuff for us and builds a lot of sailing gear. I don't even know what kinds of products the other guys do. Cost will be reflected in that though!

Pins can be damaged before sailing and fail on the water, not likely failed from sailing itself. That is a concern when left without a rudder on the water, so practice with sail trim, partial to full furling, dagger position to help balance the sailing loads can assist in steering and even make it so you can sail without using a rudder.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
We are starting up a new vendor for Dodgers, so the quality will be reviewed before approved for sure. I suspect they will be much better as this vendor does a lot of stuff for us and builds a lot of sailing gear. I don't even know what kinds of products the other guys do. Cost will be reflected in that though!

Are the new dodgers in production yet?

I've been looking to buy a Dodger for my Revo 13 but having read so many poles in them breaking I've been put off.
If there are new in better quality being sold I would pick one up in a heartbeat!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:58 am 
Site Admin

Not yet.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)