Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings everyone,
I've got a project on my hands: to rebuild two hobie 18SX's!
The good news: the hulls, masts, rudders, trampoline frame and trailers are in usable condition. There is one pair of daggerboards.

The bad news: I have basically nothing else.

nothing else.

I mean:
no booms
no rigging
no sails
no hardware

The trampolines are still on, but are definitely rotten. At least I can use them as patterns to get new ones made.

But I have to source everything else.

So! anyone got any 18SX gear that they don't need anymore? Anyone know of anyone who does?

Right now I'm starting the project with a search for sails. Hoping to find some used ones. Well that goes for all the parts: I'm hoping to find used gear.

So again, hello to everyone, It's nice to be here! And I look forward to getting to know you all as I start my rebuilds here.

Captain K

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have an extra hobie 18 boom that I don't need..................

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have an set of delammed H18SX sails....

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It may or may not make life easier for you... but a lot of SX boats have been converted to SE boats, more sails and rigging are available, and it may be cheaper to go that route than to rebuild back to SX glory.

You can cut down the mast if you're careful and get things where they need to go... and then just hook up the more common SE equipment to it. It's a bit more work than that of course... but it may be an easier road to go down.

I believe SE booms are the same either way though.

Tom

captain.k wrote:
Greetings everyone,
I've got a project on my hands: to rebuild two hobie 18SX's!
The good news: the hulls, masts, rudders, trampoline frame and trailers are in usable condition. There is one pair of daggerboards.

The bad news: I have basically nothing else.

nothing else.

I mean:
no booms
no rigging
no sails
no hardware

The trampolines are still on, but are definitely rotten. At least I can use them as patterns to get new ones made.

But I have to source everything else.

So! anyone got any 18SX gear that they don't need anymore? Anyone know of anyone who does?

Right now I'm starting the project with a search for sails. Hoping to find some used ones. Well that goes for all the parts: I'm hoping to find used gear.

So again, hello to everyone, It's nice to be here! And I look forward to getting to know you all as I start my rebuilds here.

Captain K

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The important difference between an SX and SE is a taller mast and corresponding main and jib sails. You aren't clear what you mean by "hardware", and standing rigging should be replaced with new rigging anyway. It is highly unlikely you will find used SX sails, but you may get lucky and find after-market ones.

Where are you located?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My 1989 OEM ones are available. The jib is actively delaminating and the main is starting as well, but both sailable and I'm still using them for now. Got a replacement set so PM me for the OEM set.

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Also have original set of main sheet blocks available, PM me.

'95 H16 sail #101148

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:20 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

"Actively delaminating" - I get the mental image of little Mylar bits flying into the air as you sail along. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah well, they make great everyday cruising sails. Besides, helps to have a "bread crumb" trail back to the beach on some days.

'95 H16 sail #101148

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mine are like that too....
and I like the idea of a trail of crumbs.

Flew with my new-ish Pentex sails today, see post under Rudders popping up...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Having just come off a bit of a 18SX project boat I have a few things I'd watch out for:
This is all assuming you want to keep it in SX format and not convert back to a standard SE.

Good news is you should be able to find most parts used but I would caution against used standing rigging especially bridles, forestay and shrouds. I'd add Diamond wires to that list but they are a little less critical then then other standing rigging.

Beachcats, ebay, craigslist and of course this site (best of all) will be your best place to source all your needs. I'd download the (free) parts list from this site and keep a running list of what you have and what you need.

So the big expense is going to be sails. Very hard to find decent used SX sails. The originals were mylar and are most likely all suffering from some form of delimitation by now. It killed me to spend the money but after waiting for a while for used sails to come on market I bit the bullet and had new dacron ones made. Have to say they are awesome and make a huge difference. check out the Tiger mainsail conversion threads on this forum. I've seen people have great success with that and more Tiger mains on market then SX's.

If you have some patience you should get everything used except the sails. When you buy a used boom, try and make sure the outhaul car is in good working over. I had to replace my end cap and most parts of the car which will set you back at least $100 which can feel like a bummer if you think you bought a good working boom!

Good luck on the rebuild and keep us updated on your progress! Awesome to see two more SX's brought back to life!
Phil