Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey everyone!

I am purchasing my first Hobie this week and it looks like it's going to be a pa14. What mods do you guys prefer for the first mods?

Also, is there anyone on here from the St. Pete/ Tampa area?

Post subject: Re: Newbie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When modifying any boat, everything will depend on your personal preferences, how, and where you intend to use it. Most of us will suggest you just take the boat out as you receive it for the first trip or two and give some thought to what you want and/or need for mods. First thought is how you will transport it. There are numerous ways, but what works for you and your budget is what you have to decide. Though it is not actually a mod, the most important thing for me is a small tool kit consisting of a multi tool or the equivalent. This has saved 3 trips already when my partners boats needed on the spot repairs. Just be sure to have some type of screw driver to remove the rudder cover in case the pin comes out while on the water. Occasionally you may need to make minor adjustments to your mirage drive, as well, and for that you will need a hex key kit. You might also want to put together a small parts kit.

I require good rod holders because I troll a lot. I also have a dedicated rod holder just to put my rod in while rigging or removing a fish. This was determined after I had a rod roll overboard as I reached behind me to put a fish in my cooler. A large igloo cooler is my preference, though many prefer soft bags. I also have a light and flag for better visibility and either early or late launches in the dark. Anchors are important to me also, but you may or may not need them. Again, the type and how they are rigged is determined by how and where you fish. These are pretty much the basics, but you will eventually figure out all the things you want. Two years after getting my first boat I am still re-modifying things. Good luck and good fishing.

Finally Retired, Fish Beware!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2001 Hobie Hank Parker Edition Outback

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ditto with what Richard stated. Just take it out to get a feel for what you need to suit your individual fishing needs. Welcome to the Pro Angler family and the addiction! :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you. I didn't even think about a small tool kit. I was thinking the same as you suggested and test it out a few times before getting things for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You're going to really enjoy the PA. In addition to what has already been mentioned, some basic emergency equipment is good to stow inside. I ocean fish quite a bit, so a small first aid kit, flashlight (headlamp), handheld VHF radio, whistle and my PFD always go. I agree that it will take a few times out to decide on gear needs and placement. Congratulations on the new kayak and enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I guess you will be ocean fishing in your PA ?

1. Get a milk crate, $12 or so. In it I carry: drift sock, smallish plastic bucket (nice to rinse off the yak after coming ashore), a plastic cup (when you need to go), stock rod tubes . Cover it with cheap motorcycle net to keep the items inside. Zip tied ~16" long pieces of 2" PVC tubes in the corners, extra holders for the rods etc. Total spend under $30

2. Dont spend $$$ on rail system etc. Instead, get "cannon rod" holders, $20 per, amazon. These are screwed to the plates forward of the seat. I love em for flukin'

3. Stock rod holders (behind the seat) are super excellent for trolling and are very very strong . $0.0 !

4. You will probably want to invest into a FF - so you can find structure, see fish etc. I love my $200 lowrance DSI Elite 4. PAs are "lowrance-ready", no drilling or putty are required to install them.

5. At some point you might want to add a trolling motor. Can be done for about $200, motor and battery included :), read my posts

6. You're likely to spend hours on the water in fl sun. I suggest getting a long sleeve white shirt + quick dry pants, wide-brimmed hat.

7. PFD. Spend money on a self-inflatable (Co2) - it is nice and thin and won't get in your way.

8. Marine radio to call for help and to be able to help others

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[quote="r11"]I guess you will be ocean fishing in your PA ?

Yes at some point I will be ocean fishing. Right now I plan on hitting the flats once this weather clears up. I like all your ideas. I definitely need to get a VHF radio.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

IMHO, the biggest safety item is your PFD......I totally disagree about using an inflatable model.....you are not in a fishing boat that has plenty of room, to keep all of the items you DO NOT need to store/stash on your person while you are fishing....inflatable units are too easy to put a sharp hook into and disable it (you might not be aware of the damage until its too late) or if you get knocked out/disabled and not be wearing a self inflatable model, it won't inflate.
A good fishing PFD with a "high back" like the Stohlquist Fisherman or NRS Chinook or Hobie PFD have suitable fishing tackle storage pockets, are comfortable, not too bulky and yet allow for water entry into your kayak if you fall out....these are critical issues.
Last week I ended up with a hook through the fleshy side of my right thumb while unhooking a 14" trout I was going to release.
I was glad to have a first aid kit on board with neosporin and band-aids to cover the wound...it was a ST-41, #4 treble hook from "Owner" that required crimping the barb in order to remove it....I can attest these suckers are sharp and really work!
So, be smart and actually wear a good PFD and carry all of the safety equipment mentioned in previous posts.