Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fish finder
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Need to try the humminbird 140c protable fish finder. I got one and it works great. Has down scan and side scan. It tells you how many feet away they are. you can move it from kayak to kayak,or boat. Even works for ice fishing.

Post subject: Re: fish finder
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Hobie Oasis and would love to try the hummingbird 140c. Any thoughts on how to mount it? It doesn't look like the included clamp would work too well with my boat? Are there mount options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

rasure1 wrote:
Need to try the humminbird 140c protable fish finder. I got one and it works great. Has down scan and side scan. It tells you how many feet away they are. you can move it from kayak to kayak,or boat. Even works for ice fishing.

any pics?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have used a 140 for ice fishing, because I wanted to try the 140's side scan capability, and I made a mount which sits over a hole in the ice. I was not impressed by either the standard sonar or the sidescan sonar performance of the unit. The mount for the 140 is a C-clamp style mount which can be clamped to the gunwale of a canoe or a small motorboat, but you'll need to develop your own mount to mount it on a Hobie kayak. The shaft of the fish finder is 2" in diameter and extends from 21.5" to 37.5" long. The transducer in the head of the shaft needs to be below the level of the keel of your kayak for the side scan sonar to work, so the shaft will create a lot of drag. The fish finder operates off a package of AA batteries, rather than a rechargeable 12 volt battery. It's a pretty basic and bottom of the line fish finder unit. I think you'll be happier with a better fish finder which is designed to be mounted in a kayak. If you want a fish finder which includes sidescan sonar, you'll need to mount the transducer below the level of the keel, which probably means you'll need to mount the transducer on a boom which is attached to the gunwale of your kayak.