Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: PA 17
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Man o Man ------!!!!!!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Needs Walkie Talkie wiring so you can talk to each other.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I literally thought this was a practical joke some photoshop wiz put together when I saw it.

Not trying to be a party pooper, but was there really a demand for this? I don't recall too many people saying they really wanted a tandem PA other than to occaisionally take their spouse or kids out. Last thing I'd want is another adult on a 17' narrow beam fishing boat. I just don't get it I guess.

I hope there's other good stuff coming from Hobie in the next few days of iCast. If they spent all their R&D time on this I'll be disappointed. How about the rest of the fleet? Improved seats? A bow redesign for the Outback? Better motor mounting options (i.e. non-evolve)? Better battery storage? Etc...

Just being grumpy I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Gas Yakker wrote:
I literally thought this was a practical joke some photoshop wiz put together when I saw it.

Not trying to be a party pooper, but was there really a demand for this? I don't recall too many people saying they really wanted a tandem PA other than to occaisionally take their spouse or kids out. Last thing I'd want is another adult on a 17' narrow beam fishing boat. I just don't get it I guess.

I hope there's other good stuff coming from Hobie in the next few days of iCast. If they spent all their R&D time on this I'll be disappointed. How about the rest of the fleet? Improved seats? A bow redesign for the Outback? Better motor mounting options (i.e. non-evolve)? Better battery storage? Etc...

Thank you, glad to see I'm not the only one.

I'm very disappointed that this is what Hobie decided to lead with for their new 2015 products. Sure hope a new seat gets revealed this year, as this is what many Hobie kayak owners have been asking for......not this

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:26 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I hope there's other good stuff coming from Hobie in the next few days of iCast.

iCast is a Fish show...

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SteveLIBS wrote:
I presume the 'social seating' requires a 3rd drive well facing backwards under the vantage seat...I didn't see it discussed much in the vid. I imagine putting the drive in backwards so the driver in front can move the boat in reverse, while the driver in back can move the boat forward. Crazy. The rails seem more square, maybe just in places, to accommodate what looks like a new accessory mounting system. An XL size live well and h-bar. Add FF, trolling motor, power pole and trailer and we've got a great parent-child or guide fishing machine. This will also rock in "car-topper" tournaments and big boat tournaments that allow car-toppers. Screw the john boat, this things rules.

I saw the 3rd drive well under the front seat in the video. Plugged with a gray flush plug

Post subject: Re: PA17 Tandem
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

GR8 Laker wrote:
Well done, Hobie! Brilliant! I thought roto-molding was pretty much maxed out at 14'.
Curious about:
-Cradles and spacing (can original cradles be used)?
-Colors?
-Hull speed?
-Sail(s)?
-Beam?

What a beauty! Anxious to see this one...

GR8 Laker

Yes, we need transporting specs. I have a 2014 PA14 on a trailer. I'm totally considering selling the PA14 and doubling down on the PA17.

By the way, Austin Kayaks has some of the specs. Beam is 43".

I'd like to see the Island sail on this boat not the little sail.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can see some merit to the PA 17 T as I am debating getting two kayaks so I can occasionally fish with a family member or a friend.

However, $5300 is an awfully steep price. For $500 more a person can purchase 2 complete PA 12's. Put another way, a potential customer is paying $2300 more for an additional 3 feet in length, an additional Vantage seat and another Mirage drive unit as compared to a PA14.

While I understand there are certainly engineering and design costs, molds to make, upgrades in seating, handles and other manufacturing expenses; I think the premium price being asked for here is excessive.

At a $4500 price point this would have been a no brainer for me, I would have gladly lived with the reduced casting area for a co-angler. That being said, I hope the upgrades and improvements on this model filter down to the PA 12 & 14.

Hobie makes a fantastic product and I hope to have a PA in my future but given the loss of fishability for anglers in a tandem set up, 2 separate kayaks may be the way to go for me at this price point. The option of a much lighter and nimble yak if I'm by myself also is appealing.

Gladdly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt
Any changes to the PA 12, 14, for the 2015 model

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bubbleboy wrote:
Gas Yakker wrote:

Thank you, glad to see I'm not the only one.

I'm very disappointed that this is what Hobie decided to lead with for their new 2015 products. Sure hope a new seat gets revealed this year, as this is what many Hobie kayak owners have been asking for......not this

I believe this will be a big seller. I have a PA14 for solo and a Jackson Big Tuna for tandem. I had to wait months for the Tuna as no one could keep them in stock. Jackson is making a killing with the Tuna. I think this is a good move by Hobie. If this had been out last year I would have bought it as I spent almost the same amount on the Hobie and Jackson.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Quote:
I hope there's other good stuff coming from Hobie in the next few days of iCast.

iCast is a Fish show...

Thanks Matt, you just answered my questions :wink:

http://www.scottypaddlesports.com/ Pro Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check out this link for the full details on the PA-17
http://www.kayakshed.com/client/images/ ... ochure.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Those H-rails are pretty awesome. I hope Hobie sells the H-rails to retro-fit on my tiny PA-14.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All the specs and features and options are located on our website
http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-pro-angler-17/

There's a promo video here:http://youtu.be/vatWRysT9FE

And a complete walk-through video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSoEI17_1uU&feature=youtu.be

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I can understand a 17' PA...kinda. I just don't get the tandem thing. If it's also offered as a solo with just one vantage seat & mirage drive for ~$1000 less that makes some sense & explains the center mirage well.

I guess I just have an irrational fear of tandems, they're freaky to me :) .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next