Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New seat 2014
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks like the complete Ride Phase 3 seats are available (high and low) from Harmony. I presume the Tarpon Phase 3 seats are would be easier to retrofit.

I wonder if the tech lift adhesive-backed seat pad might be decent enough...

http://www.harmonygear.com/subcategory/ ... 500/page/1

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you all for the replies pertaining to this topic. There is a lot to think about. There does not appear to be a lot of support for Hobie developing a vantage style seat for the Outback. I'll probably head north to Jersey Paddler or south to Survival Products and sit in some of the suggested seats to surmise comfort.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ronrbaker wrote:
There does not appear to be a lot of support for Hobie developing a vantage style seat for the Outback.

If they are considering it, you can bet they are holding it tight-to-chest and won't announce it until the next model year.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree that it's probably an highly personal thing. For example, I found the opposite of the "butt above versus butt below" the pedals theory. In my stock PA14, my back hurt after a few hours of pedaling. I built simple seat risers to raise the seat 3" and with my butt at or above the pedals, no back issues at all. (I reason that pedaling with your feet above your hips, you bend your lower spine too much.) The PA is extremely stable to begin with, so I don't feel any "tippier" with the slightly higher seat.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

fusioneng wrote:
Fish-It :
Even though the Revo 13 is my favorite of all the Hobie mirage line, I think Jcanracer has a point, though the revo is a nimble fast racing machine (how many other kayaks bank on the turns ( LOL), a standup able boat for us older fellows it is not. Probably even with sidekicks and a cane stuck in the mast holder pocket, though I haven't tried it, I have a feeling I would get wet anyway.
Bob

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but for what it's worth, my theory was sound but suffered in the execution. I succeeded in configuring my Revo for stand-up fishing by making and installing a stand-up rail using aluminum tubing and Bimini fittings, made an elevated seat which fits in the seat well and added sidekicks fore and aft. While I was able to stand up, I have to conclude that it isn't practical for me; a young guy could probably manage. I never felt that the boat would capsize, but it is pretty "twitchy" and I thought I was going out a few times. The biggest problem is that the footwell is too narrow to allow a wider stance for more stability- you can't put your foot out to counter the weight shift. The elevated seat worked out OK; with the sidekicks, it wasn't as twitchy as standing and was fine using trolling motor power... paddling would be a problem.

Hopefully, I have added something to the vast amount of knowledge and experience which is evident in these Hobie forums; it is inspiring...

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's innovative, even if it didn't work out as well as you had hoped. Cheers to you!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wilderness Systems has introduced a $150 voucher program for owners of the new Rides to get their newest elevating seat. There may be some Phase 3 seats on sale by owners soon...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm still putting my money on Hobie and that they will introduce a new seat for the Outback and/or Revo. They simply don't have any choice with what is being offered by competitors in the current market place :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When is iCast? mid July right?
If we don't see new models or new seats by August, I think we'll have to wait another year for Hobie to catch up. But I got my fingers crossed (and my money saving up) for a 2015 model kayak. I'm banking on this so much that I am not modifying my 2013 Outback at all so it will sell faster when the time comes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Same here and hope the price stays the somewhat reasonable as many people I know can't afford hobie at almost double the price.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mark, any date when the new models will be revealed? Will it be at icast?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anything new for 2015?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

(censored) wrote:
fusioneng wrote:
Fish-It :
Even though the Revo 13 is my favorite of all the Hobie mirage line, I think Jcanracer has a point, though the revo is a nimble fast racing machine (how many other kayaks bank on the turns ( LOL), a standup able boat for us older fellows it is not. Probably even with sidekicks and a cane stuck in the mast holder pocket, though I haven't tried it, I have a feeling I would get wet anyway.
Bob

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but for what it's worth, my theory was sound but suffered in the execution. I succeeded in configuring my Revo for stand-up fishing by making and installing a stand-up rail using aluminum tubing and Bimini fittings, made an elevated seat which fits in the seat well and added sidekicks fore and aft. While I was able to stand up, I have to conclude that it isn't practical for me; a young guy could probably manage. I never felt that the boat would capsize, but it is pretty "twitchy" and I thought I was going out a few times. The biggest problem is that the footwell is too narrow to allow a wider stance for more stability- you can't put your foot out to counter the weight shift. The elevated seat worked out OK; with the sidekicks, it wasn't as twitchy as standing and was fine using trolling motor power... paddling would be a problem.

Hopefully, I have added something to the vast amount of knowledge and experience which is evident in these Hobie forums; it is inspiring...

Hello,
I outfitted my revo with a stand n fish and pull myself up with rope attached to front of kayak pad. Reach behind, put platform on seat. Use a sup paddle to sneak up on giant fish. What happens after that is my business. Also, I have evolve motor system where I attach the motor control system to stand n fish tower. I control rudder with my foot. Paddle goes into holder on tower as does two fly rods. Can lean back against tower and cast for miles unless there's sun or wind. Love this setup. Use malone trailer leave tower hooked up and add pontoons at launch. Look at the web page is located in Sarasota, Florida. I have the revo 11 with turbo fins and the fins work well. Anyway, I have added the seat cushion with bladder and helps but I would invest in a newly designed, comfortable seat. Good fishing and safe kayaking.
Pete

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TXoutback wrote:
Anything new for 2015?

Official response at icast was "No comment".
Lets give it another month to see if 2015 stuff will still be announced.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Guess need to wait till sep 1st. Frustrating when you love a product but what can you do. Still waiting for the factory tours to start up again.